• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission shifting issue m1165a 2012 hmmwv

Gclaude

Vehicle wont hardly move on unless I press the pedal to the floor. It moves a lot better in reverse than forward. The trasmission was just rebuilt because the gears was all messed up and trans fluid was very milky and TCM was just replaced. The fluid level on the transmission, torque converter, differential is good. Im thinking the torque converter is bad. Any thoughts of whats going on? I just want to be sure i didnt over looked anything. Thanks in advance

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's should be throwing codes if the pressures are out of whack...you will have to check codes via the diag port on the TCM, that will require the cable, if you don't have a cable, you need to tap into the TCM, a good trans guy should have a scanX 2000 to simulate The TCM.

Action

You have an m1165???
There are 2 pins at TCM that can be jumped with a paperclip to flash any codes on the trans light. I dont recall which pins, though.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it a real 1165...[ they didn't sell any ] or someone made it into one ?
Trans rebuilt...so did they put in a diesel TQ. converter ?
Computer under seat might be bad.

Gclaude

I work in a military base almost all of our hmmwv are 2012 m1165. The computer (tcm) was just replaced too. Does anyone know how to test if the torque converter is bad?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I work in a military base almost all of our hmmwv are 2012 m1165. The computer (tcm) was just replaced too. Does anyone know how to test if the torque converter is bad?
Once again, any Good trans shop can test the trans while in truck. If the trans was just rebuilt, call the rebuilder.
even if the TPS or TOSS were bad, the trans would be in limp mode, would not affect what you are stating.
when you say you have to push the pedal to the floor, I'm assuming you mean that the the RPM's are screaming too?
as this is a mechanical IJ pump....sounds to me like a bad rebuild. Who did the rebuild? Civ or Depot?

TedG

Right on Steve. Not enough info. Also, look to brake light switch adjustment it may effect the tc ability to operate correctly, amongst other sensors. I hope you chime back in with more info and or result.

BTW, M1165 is best hmmwv made! Just saying.

Gclaude

Sorry it took me a while to reply. Anyway the vehicle only work in reverse so i disconnect the drive shaft and when i put in on drive and press on the gas, the output shaft going to the front diff is turning really slow and it would just stop. I think the transfer case is bad. Any thoughts

Wire Fox

Sorry it took me a while to reply. Anyway the vehicle only work in reverse so i disconnect the drive shaft and when i put in on drive and press on the gas, the output shaft going to the front diff is turning really slow and it would just stop. I think the transfer case is bad. Any thoughts
The transfer case has two jobs: to alter the gear ratio you're in (high range or low range) and to lock the front and rear differentials together. The TM's-which are your bible in your job-describe the fundamental operation of all the systems in the HMMWV you are working on and provide troubleshooting and diagnostic steps to follow in order to figure out the root cause of the problem you're having. Make use of the resources you have-you should have access to many of the tools I am envious of and only wish I had access to.

To the issue.... If you have reverse, but no forward drive, I highly doubt the transfer case is the culprit. This is sounding more and more like whoever rebuilt the transmission rebuilt it poorly.

This post has the best advice. Answer everything asked here and do everything suggested:
RetiredWarHorses said:
Once again, any Good trans shop can test the trans while in truck. If the trans was just rebuilt, call the rebuilder.
even if the TPS or TOSS were bad, the trans would be in limp mode, would not affect what you are stating.
when you say you have to push the pedal to the floor, I'm assuming you mean that the the RPM's are screaming too?
as this is a mechanical IJ pump....sounds to me like a bad rebuild. Who did the rebuild? Civ or Depot?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could be that or a broken halfshaft or diff....have you attempted to move it in HL ? This is the setting to Use when you have a broken halfshaft.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks