• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission slipping 1985 M1009 TH400

GreggVA

I think my transmission has similar problems. How much did your rebuild kit cost? The one at oreillys that was recommended was like 200. Don't want to spend that much on a guess. I think I found a transmission to replace the th400. Might do that since its about the same price.
Sorry for the slow reply. I did not buy an entire rebuild kit, just the seals and the new accumulator piston.

GreggVA

Well finally got a dry weekend day where I had some time and tried to install my new parts.

I am a little confused by the 2-3 accumulator recess and post. Mine appears to be at a slight angle as can be seen in the pics below.

There also turns out to be a special tool to compress the spring that goes under the accumulator piston so that you can put the little e-clip on the post. I tried a valve spring compressor with a socket and then my table vise but neither really got me anywhere. It seems that the seals are really to big and I think I am just going to end up messing them up more.

Think I will have to take the valve body to a transmission shop and pay them to compress the piston for me. I found the tool listed in the ATSG manual that I bought and searched online - minimum $130 with shipping.

GreggVA

So was able to get the spring compressed on the accumulator and the little e-clip back on the post - $30 later.

I put the valve body back on and all went well so I thought. I now have forward movement in ALL gears including neutral. Park still works. From what I understand, I failed to attach the manual valve to some kind of piece on the rooster comb. I have looked at the tech manuals and have the ASTG manual but no where does it show you what this is supposed to look like. This picture shows it pretty well though. You have to zoom in pretty good but you can see a little peg coming off the rooster comb where the yellow arrow is. That little pin has to go in the ring on the manual valve. The manual valve has to be in the right way also since it does fall straight out of the valve body when you remove it.

If this doesn't work, I will be looking to rebuild the trans. i will likely be asking some questions about speed/tire size/gear ratios.

BigRix

Sucks that you have to drop the pan again but if thats the only problem then you will be happy once you get the truck back on the road.

GreggVA

Well pulled the pan just in time for the sky to start pouring. In coastal VA we get the same amount of rain as Seattle but we get it literally inches at a time. I dropped the valve body just enough to put the pin on the rooster comb in the slot on the manual valve piston. The kick down solenoid has two bolts that keep the plat between the case and body from dropping. I had my wife cycle the shifter to ensure I had the pin in there and the valve moved. Torqued everything back to spec,filled it up with fluid, and stared her up.

Well, park works great......now no forward or reverse in any gear position.

I think at this point I have reached the law of diminishing marginal returns and any more effort is going to cost me more than I get out of it. I have a guy a a local trusted race shop who will drop and rebuild for about $1,000. So think that is the direction I am heading.

Hope parts of this post will help others.

Grega

Sorry to hear about it raining all the time there in VA. Last time it rained more than a few sprinkles her in Nebraska was last May. So dry here even the sandbures dont grow.

GreggVA

Wrecker came and got the M1009 yesterday morning and at the shop today. The shop owner said, "That's a military vehicle isn't it. I saw the shackles then the plate on the door." Glad to hear he is a little excited about having it in the shop.

Question - Is there anything that I need to be specific about during the rebuild or would be a nice to have while he is at it? I seem to remember something about the govenor weights being heavier than a gas turbo 400 trans.

Last edited:

GreggVA

On the road again!!! Paid the bill ($1,020) and picked up the M1009. She is shifting great and running great. Price about included a master rebuild kit, removal, installation, and a new torque convertor.

For those in the Tidewater (Hampton Roads) area of Virginia, I used Rory and Sons Transmissions and think they did a great job.