• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission Swap CUCV 1008

landry1

I am looking for ideas to do a transmisson swap in my 1986 CUCV m1008. Or just looking to change the grearing so it will go over 60 mph and get better MPG. Is there a way to change gearing, with keeping the detriot lockers?

Bobert

Most guys just put bigger tires on it. That would be easiest. There aren't many options for gear swap and it would be cheaper to swap the whole axle. Many trucks came with the 14bolt rear, but you might have trouble finding a dana 60 front.

Not sure about transmission, I know some guys have done it.

rickf

Find yourself a 700R4, preferably out of a diesel blazer but any of the R4's should work. It would be a good idea to rebuild it with heavy duty parts and you will need the flywheel and converter for the diesel. I do not remember if the driveshafts have to be fabbed or not. You will also need the steering column and TV linkage from the doner vehicle.

Rick

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Driveshafts can remain the same, length differences are absorbed by the adapter. It's a very straightforward swap if you start with a parts truck.

rickf

Mangus, You have me curious, Without the overdrive column how do you get the right gears? The detents in a three speed column are not going to match the four speed column.

Rick

acmunro

The detents are not in the column. They are in the transmission itself. The selector plate on the inst. cluster is the only thing you would change, But it is not really necessary.

A_P_T

i'd have to second the most guys putting on big tires...most guys i know who have tried the same type of thing have just slapped on bigger tires...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks