• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission Temp gauge

j_boucher

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone add a transmission temperature gauge ? I have an auto meter one in the garage left over from another project trying to repurpose it

Ronmar

Anyone add a transmission temperature gauge ? I have an auto meter one in the garage left over from another project trying to repurpose it
Planning on it, working on a location for the sensor. There is a oil sample port on the trans fluid line to the heat exchanger/cooler but it is small(1/8NPT) but that seems like an ideal place to sample. might have to put a T fitting and a small bleed line back to the transmission to create a tiny flow for a reliable temp sample port there...

j_boucher

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Planning on it, working on a location for the sensor. There is a oil sample port on the trans fluid line to the heat exchanger/cooler but it is small(1/8NPT) but that seems like an ideal place to sample. might have to put a T fitting and a small bleed line back to the transmission to create a tiny flow for a reliable temp sample port there...
I was thinking same area but wasn't sure if there was a port on the transmission itself

Ronmar

I was thinking same area but wasn't sure if there was a port on the transmission itself
I havn't come across one that I like yet. There are of course drain plugs but kind of exposed on the bottom of the control module. All the other ports I believe are pressure test ports so might not have any real fluid flow there. I have not seen one indicated specifically for temp sense, Allison does it on the control module internally...

It might be fairly easy to drill and tap a sensor port into one of the access covers on the transfer case. The transfer case has a steady flow of fluid from the center section created by the scavenger pump, so might give a useable temp reading...

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trans temp is monitored by the TCM and there's a light for over-temp in the annunciator panel.

The data is also on the CANBUS so if you install something like the Bluefire dongle, etc you can display trans temp on a tablet or phone.

These trucks have pretty good transmission cooling and huge radiators with a ton of coolant (~12 gallons - which is the usual system capacity for twice as much engine [C15]). It's difficult to overheat them under normal conditions. I would monitor it a bit on the bus and then decide if there's even a reason to install a gauge - depending on your use case of course. If you are HEAVY towing through the desert it might be a good data point. For the majority of us that run ~25k lbs or less GVW you are unlikely to ever tax the cooling system. If your planning to tow with a 1088/89 then sure - what the hell.

I used to want all kinds of gauges but the reality is that in the vast majority of cases they are just sensory overload and not particularly useful. If the trans is overheating then chances are the engine coolant played a role, the engine is also overheating, or the transmission is spanked internally and slipping so it's overheating the fluid.... in which case it's not long before it needs a rebuild anyway so overheating is likely a short term problem to be followed by a period of not overheating because it no longer drives.

If you're determined to do it, I would weld a bung into the one end of the cooler near the hose ports, etc. Or find/make a fitting to install the sending unit inline with the trans fluid to cooler hoses.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks