• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

transmission temp

rnd-motorsports

Do not have a trans temp gauge on my 1028 but my 2500hd has one factory and norm driving it just moves off of 100deg. but pulling my 5th wheel it will get about 200 when accelerating at highway speeds it drops a little plowing it hardly ever get up to 200. Using a reg water temp gauge would work for the trans temp but the pickup would be rather large if you use a mechanical one. a electric one would not know what type of liquid it was monitoring. It would still tell the temp as long as you know what the range is. Trans fluid will start breaking down about 260 deg.

ApopkaFL

Banned
Anyone added a transmission temp gauge? Wanting to move the 2 gen lamps and use those locations for a transmission temp and water temp gauges. Also wondering if I can use a second GM water temp gauge or if the temp range/red line would be wrong.
Luck for us A3 guys there is a transmission gauge already installed.

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FYI - If you take out the GEN lights, your alternators WILL NOT work.

OL AG '89

why spend the time moving the gen lights, ther is enough room next to voltmeter to add another gauge. I added my temp guage ther (haven't hooked it up yet), but it fits great.

SPCHowe

I was thinking about adding some different gauges myself and I want to make sure my line of thinking is clear. The lights rnd-motorsports suggested can replace the Gen 1 and Gen 2 lights as long as they are wired up correctly with the required wires off the instrument wiring harness?

bushhawg73

I plan on placing a sheet of aluminum cut to fit over the space above and below the heater controls. I will move the volts gauge over and place an Autometer oil pressure gauge next to it. Below the heater controls I plan on installing an Autometer trans and water temp gauges. I am still in the planning phase.

EF-5

Does removing the GEN lights have the same effect on the alternator, even if the truck has been converted to 12V?

Dash mods

Am using the Gen light holes for Oil and Transmission temp gauges, placed dual voltmeters (12v ones, one for each battery/generator) where the lone 24v one was, so moved the gen warning lights.

Also have 4 other deuce dash indicator lamps for PTO engaged, Fog lamps, Fuel transfer pump operating and 4x4 (I used that guage space for an OEM dash clock) Fuel gauge has a tach with a small fuel gauge inset (kind of like these ___) and I added an oil pressure gauge as well (and switched some of the warning bulbs around. Pics to follow when done.

Still need one more blackout switch (the service lights one DPDT on/off/on, not the Blackout one DPST Momentary off/Center off/Momentary on) if anyone has one (or the pair of switches...) for PTO Govenor engaged. And a headlight switch (the oem one with plug) so I can wire in the fog and driving lights.

Wiring Harness

Yes - basically created a new one for the back of the panel using jumper wires and a multi-pin Molex connector for the new functions wiring. Still a work in progress. Very PITA - lots of insulation removal above the traces / carefull soldering of wires to flex traces and reinsulating etc. Although I have since learned it is possible ($$$) to have a new rear flexible panel made by local electronic circuit board shops.

SPCHowe

Could you please post some pictures of your work? This is something I'd love to do to my truck and I want to know what I'm up against. Did you have to add a resistor for the GEN 2 light circuit to get the alternator excited?