• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission whining in 4th and 5th gear.

Capriceii

To my Fellow keepers of the Green Steel.

I finally had time to work om my M109A3 after a year of distractions. Originally i had an issue with a pop in the front right wheel every time it rotated. I dropped the front drive shaft and that issue went away so I need a new front drive shaft not a big deal. But the transmission I had just put in now starts to whine in 4 gear and in 5th it is ear piercing. But 1st 2nd and 3rd are fine. I still have the original transmission that needs new bearings. First question I have is, does anyone have or know who sells rebuild kit with bearings and seals? If not what do I need to look for.

And then with that, I really want to find some one who knows this drive line like the back of their hand, I want to get this girl back to road worthy status. I miss driving her, the smell and sounds. Would any of you in North East Ohio have a good resource for this?

Worst case I will even be willing to take her to a mechanic, but I need some one I can trust. She is my baby.

As always thank you for any and all assistance!

Travis

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does it have oil in it ?
Like, is it full of 90wt ?

I ask because it sounds like you had someone else do the job, and if you want something done right it's important that you do it yourself .

As far as the tire making a sound every rotation, that's not going to match the rotation of the driveline so not sure how removing the driveline fixed that, but if it just needs u-joints (most likely) its not a big deal to get some and put them in, theres not much to a dl, if you have it out you can feel whatever is loose or wrong in a few seconds of investigation .

ToddJK

I imagine you checked fluid levels? If you d code to go with a mechanic, many won't touch that truck, but I've had luck in the past with mechanics who work on heavy equipment like farm tractors and such. I don't know if it's covered by any of Tactical Repairs video's on YT, but he has a few on transmissions.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the lube level. If it is making noise, fix it before the situation worsens. I had an M35A2 that I recovered from Fort Indiantown Gap and drove it home to North Georgia. It made a slight clicking sound in 5th gear when I let up on the accelerator. The fluid level was correct and it shifted fine. Once home, a few weeks later, the transmission started shelling teeth. The transmission was destroyed. I installed a take-out transmission and put thousands of miles on it prior to sale of the truck. If your transmission is whining, something is wrong.

Capriceii

Thanks everyone, I will double check the oil level it was good before I pulled out the drive way. @glcaines this is a take out transmission, the orginal is in the back with a bad output bearing, This one has 200 miles on it and has been nothing but problems. @DaneGer21 Your out by Rittman I make it out that way on occasion. @ToddJK Tactial Repairs is my go to Youtube channel! It was his videos that got me through the hub rebuilds and cylinder replacements! @Valley Rock It was me and a few friends that did the transmission swap, but I think I may have just gotten a bad take out. I will be double checking oil and testing high low tonight. I will report back with what I find. Thank you everyone!

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I would at least pull the top off, it’s easy to do, and look for anything bad/damaged.
I changed my 2/3 synchro and my 1st/rev gear due to broken teeth but no excessive noise.
Plus you could use (maybe) parts off the old tranny.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks