• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission Will Not Go Into High Gear

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For some reason my M1038 will not go into high gear. Wanted to get the advice of professinals before I tow it to a shop. Any help would be appreciated.:???:wwp.jpg

gcbennet

I had the same issue, except mine was not going into the low gears. Turns out they had been reduced to the sludge in the bottom of my pan and the tranny had to be rebuilt. On a good note, the T400 is old school and the rebuild shop loved the opportunity to play with it. Relatively inexpensive to rebuild as well.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What year? What tranny? three speed or 4.

If four speed, it's because it might be in cripple mode/limp mode.

If three speed, try looking at fluid level and changing the filter before you break out big guns.

Action

For some reason my M1038 will not go into high gear. Wanted to get the advice of professinals before I tow it to a shop. Any help would be appreciated.:???:
Do you meant the trans will not go into 3 or 4? Or do you mean you can't get the lever into "H", which isn't the transmission.

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a three speed transmission. Won't work in High, only in High lock, Low and Low lock.

erasedhammer

Does the vehicle move in high? If not then a half shaft CV joint could have blown.
Happens more than you think and it's not entirely noticable besides no vehicle movement in high.

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does the vehicle move in high? If not then a half shaft CV joint could have blown.
Happens more than you think and it's not entirely noticable besides no vehicle movement in high.
Does not move in High at all in any gear....but runs perfectly in everything else....

Action

Do you meant the trans will not go into 3 or 4? Or do you mean you can't get the lever into "H", which isn't the transmission.
Put it in H. Hold your left foot on the brakes. Give it throttle. Ease of the brake, but not all the way. If it moves, the issue is likely a halfshaft.
Or put in H and put trans in gear. No brakes. Have someone move around and find the noise of something spinning that is broken...

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put it in H. Hold your left foot on the brakes. Give it throttle. Ease of the brake, but not all the way. If it moves, the issue is likely a halfshaft.
Or put in H and put trans in gear. No brakes. Have someone move around and find the noise of something spinning that is broken...
Right on the money.....put it in high and drive while holding down the brake and as I let off the brake it moved a couple feet....Okay........where in the heck do I get another halfshaft....?

erasedhammer

Right on the money.....put it in high and drive while holding down the brake and as I let off the brake it moved a couple feet....Okay........where in the heck do I get another halfshaft....?
eBay, (forgive me for actually spelling it correctly) just remember 12k shafts don't work in older humvees.

Action

Your humvee has 3 different length halfshafts. You need to find out which one is bad. you could have someone get under it (out of the path of the tires and look for something spinning, such as the "axle" or brake rotor....with no brakes applied while in H and D.