• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission Won't Go Into Gear 3 Speed

m38inmaine

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I picked up my M1097R1 yesterday from Iron/Gov Planet yesterday, I am trying to figure out a few issues I am having. When I first started it to back off the trailer it went right into reverse, backed off, went right into drive and I moved it around the yard. Now it was getting up to operating temp, drove it down the lane stopped and it would not go into reverse or drive, messed around putting it in different gears, finally put it in second and it moved, drive it moved, reverse it moved. As I was coming up my hill it did not want to go like it was slipping. Back in the yard again no drive or reverse, messed around going through the gears and ending up in second it moved again, it seems like after putting it in second it jump starts something and then it will go into drive and reverse, very strange. I checked the fluid hot and it's full and doesn't look black or burnt. I did drain off a pint from the transmission pan drain, it is hard to explain but it looks more dark purple than red. I am wondering if would be worth a try to service the transmission with new fluid and filter and try that ? Tomorrow I am going to try again when it's cold and see what happens, I have not had it up to speed enough to check to see if it's shifting through the gears.

I noticed that the shift modulator was not was I was use to seeing, it has what looks like a cable going onto it, I could not see where the other end was, curious how it works, i am use to the CUCV type of modulator.

Thanks

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Weird drive situations like you are experiencing are often related to half shafts with broken CV joints or missing bolts. Yes the modulator is cable driven from the injection pump throttle linkage.

m38inmaine

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All levels were checked before starting, I made repairs and fluid checks while it was still on the trailer as it was easier to work on.

Thank you

m38inmaine

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update:, So I drained the fluid and dropped the pan, I figured a filter and fluid change might help, I DSCN0528.JPGdid not expect or want to see a filter and pan covered in metal shaving and a few minor chunks of metal. The filter was literally clogged with metal, the magnets had so much metal on them they could no longer hold any more. So it looks like I am going to have to pull it out eventually for a rebuild, it works now but I'm sure it will fail soon. Thank you for the replies and I will update when I find out what failed.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update:, So I drained the fluid and dropped the pan, I figured a filter and fluid change might help, I View attachment 931041did not expect or want to see a filter and pan covered in metal shaving and a few minor chunks of metal. The filter was literally clogged with metal, the magnets had so much metal on them they could no longer hold any more. So it looks like I am going to have to pull it out eventually for a rebuild, it works now but I'm sure it will fail soon. Thank you for the replies and I will update when I find out what failed.
I smell toast!
Sorry!!