• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

transmission

goliath

I just purchased 2 deuces and drove them 180 miles to my home. I dont remember the transmissions being so noisy when I drove one in the service. The noise is almost like a muncie 4 speed rock crusher trans. Are the gears a straight cut gear? If so then this would explain the noise.
Thanks John

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Have you checked the fluid?...I bought a deuce out of SC that had all the fluids removed from it.

I topped off all the other ones but forgot to check the tranny.....when I took it for a test run it sounded like it was grinding gravel. Topped it off and it was good to go.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
........ drove them 180 miles to my home.
Sure enough you wouldn't make it that far if the transmissions were drained.
But even at correct oil level they(some) can get very noisy after a while, at top speed. Not all of them are as noisy, though.
Are the gears a straight cut gear?
Nope, all helical gears, except 1st and Rev.

G.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
When they're "right" they're quiet. Much quieter than an M-22. And I'm familiar with M-22's.

I've got a couple that are really noisy in 5th gear-haven't pulled them down yet, but I'll guess it's bearings. One has been like this for 5+ years.

cobra5

goliath

These trucks served with the air national guards communication squadron on the base. Did you drive yours home or trailer? I drove mine 208 mine to Missoula and had to leave it at my work because the transmission started slipping. I parked it and noticed a good leak coming out of the transfer case. I may reservice and finish the 30 miles to the house but that will depend on how bad it leaks when I start it up.

goliath

Hi
thats not good. when did you buy your vehicle? Mine were in a lot of 5, bidding was in march around the 23rd. I picked mine up may 22, one of the 5 went to alaska. here is my email address jjtdl@frontier.com, we may have stories or info to share thanks John

cobra5

My truck is one of the five that came from the same auction as yours. Mine was in the first row when you came through the gate and was back against the fence with another truck in front of it. I wonder where the other two trucks ended up.

goliath

Hi
I bought 2 of them and a gentleman from Alaska bought one. He picked his up tuesday at 8 in the morning tuesday, I picked mine up at 10 tuesday. The free play on the clutch needs adjusting, its a bit to tight. Brake light switch went out on both rigs and was on the second air pack on the passenger side. luckly I had mine home before they went bad. Dot 5 at a buck an ounce is like gold. dont want to loose much of that
Thanks John

greg2560

You sure it is motor oil...My tranny was over full and ran out the front of the tranny when it got warm from driveing,,,,now got clutch chatter when takeing off #$%^&*

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks