• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transplant for Mule

Hoefler

Finally found a local Mule (Genny) motor for my mule. Current engine is good for killing bugs with a ton of smoke. Finally found a local engine through Craigslist. Motor was across town which made it a snap.
Got the crate into my shop and opened it up to see if good or bad. She looks good, unused and rotates freely. As soon as time permits, I plan on doing the transplant.
Opening that sealed crate was fun.
Pete
IMG_1972_2.jpgIMG_1973_2.jpgIMG_1974_2.jpgIMG_1975_2.jpgIMG_1976_2.jpg

txdodge43man

I put a gen set motor in the mule I just restored. Be careful putting the crank shaft pulley on the new motor the Key that came with the new motor was to big and it broke the pull when I installed it so uses as many of the old parts as you can. Also use the spin on oil filter that comes with the gen set its a lot better than the old style

txdodge43man

Here are a few pictures I did not take any pictures of the engine between tear down and reassembly. Here is a before and after pictures with some in between pictures. All in all took 11 months that's not working on it every weekend just here and there. This has been the simplest restoration I have ever done besides trailers and a good friend and co owner helping out as well and providing extra parts he had from his mule. When we got the mule for the government it was missing engine parts rear deck cover, seat, foot basket, fuel tank along with pull start parts and tow bar. it had been used as a work bench at the end of its life and the military had manage to shatter the teeth in one front hub and punch the deck full of holes. I still have to fab a tow bar and tow bar mounting bracket and do a final top coat and put the numbers back on but waiting for better weather.

Emery Mule supply supplied 90% of the parts and hes a great guy to work with

Attachments

nickd

The generator motor is the next best thing to an original mule crate motor. The spin on filter set up is the way to go as the canister set up on the original motors can be tricky on the reinstall and prone to leaks. I have on each of my 3 mules. It is not the correct piece but it sure makes changing the oil less of a chore.
good luck with the engine swap. check out the mule section of the G503 board as there is a good tutorial there to follow.

Hoefler

First time posting. Have not researched what year it is. There is indications painted on the side-old failing paint, that it was in Viet Nam. I appreciate the help and tips on the Mule.
I plan on getting her to run and clean it up to original. I plan on using it on my farm-mostly for fun.
Pete

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks