• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transport HMMWV

Videris

So I plan on picking up my Hmmwv directly from Barstow (won on govplanet). I have a 1500 Silverado with V8. I see the listed dry weight for hmmwv is 5200lbs. I believe my truck won't do the job with a uhaul type auto transport trailer so I'm thinking I'm going to need an equipment trailer with a bigger truck. Is my best bet to look at renting a bigger truck and equipment trailer from an equipment rental yard or does anyone know of a specifc company/business that I can reach out to for rentals? I don't want to use a transport company, I want to do it myself. Thanks in advance.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Let's keep replies filed with information instead of just "search". Thanks retiredwarhorses, that is a great thread.

Carrera911

I've pulled 3 Humvees on the galvanized Uhaul trailers behind my Hummer H2. While some say they fit fine, I have to unbolt the right fender to get mine on and off. Otherwise it would at least scrape the sidewalls of the tire or maybe bend the fenders.

ruSSrt

I'm actually in the same boat right now..... Debating if i want to go pick it up in Cali from WA (1200 miles one way). I have 01 Cummins 3/4 ton and can borrow good flat bed trailer or have it delivered to me. Would be nice trip to Cali with wifey ...... but hauling 5200 lbs over  the pass in December doesn't sound too appealing right now.....

Wire Fox

pull the driveshafts and flat tow it with a tow bar I pulled them all over south korea that way
Only problem with that is it's not going to be legal in many states. If it's not registered and insured, you can't have wheels touching the public roadway. I believe many bases also have policies against their surplus vehicles rolling out of the base, although I'm not entirely sure if this is strictly no wheels on the ground or if it's just no driving out under their own power.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tow-bar is great, if you're ready for it, but I wouldn't put it past commiefornia from having a heart attack.

I'd have no issues/second thoughts in pulling one on a flatbed in my Ram 2500. As long as you know the truck and know when you can push it and when you need to slow down and stay right, no issues. braking is always the thing we forget, but considering how fast I can stop the truck on it's own... I'm not concerned with a trailer and that load. I've done heavier.

Videris

Commiefornia. Thats too funny, but so true! You should read up on the new gun laws we are going to have to abide by in January. A bunch of ******* ****! All the liberal left wing extremist tree hugging ********! Neck tattooed bar codes soon to be issued!

NCBPhantom

I'm actually in the same boat right now..... Debating if i want to go pick it up in Cali from WA (1200 miles one way). I have 01 Cummins 3/4 ton and can borrow good flat bed trailer or have it delivered to me. Would be nice trip to Cali with wifey ...... but hauling 5200 lbs over  the pass in December doesn't sound too appealing right now.....
I towed a M998 600 miles one way with a U-Haul Auto Transporter and a 2003 3/4 ton Hemi. Your truck shouldn't have an issue.

Expendable

Not familiar with your state's laws. but in CA towing is legally limited to 55mph. something to consider.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks