• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transportation

gyrfalcon

Newbie question: If you win an auction on a working CUCV can you get temporary insurance and drive it back to your state and title it? I'm guessing the answer would be no, and it's normal to haul them off by trailer?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site.

You will find that alot of the CUCVs up for auction will require a little work before they will start and drive. Plan on having it towed.

You should be able to get insurance at any time. Title and registration depends on your state.

You do need to add your state to your profile. That is a site requirement.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Prepare, take everything but the kitchen sink, including batteries. I took a list of about 20 things including an air compressor and generator to pick up my M35A3. It just needed a gallon of coolant! Drove it 70 miles home with insurance. My state doesn't offer trip permits so I took the chance.
When I picked up my M1009 from WI, I had a guy who lives and works at the site "JBL" pull it out for me and store it for a week, so I knew it would run, had a small tranny leak but otherwise was road worthy, drove it home 300 miles with just insurance, drove by numerous cops. I've been lucky with my two wins. Prepare for the worst so you're not tripped up when it isn't what you think.
If the states you're traveling in have temporary or trip permits I'd recommend you get them, most of all GET INSURANCE, that's a must before you drive home.

Last edited:

kingchr

I did it no problem, picked it up in Stockton. I live in Oregon and we have Trip Permits so I scored one of those, then called my insurance company and added the vehicle. Like others have said, if you do this, bring everything you think you might need, then bring more tools and parts. I wound up having to tow it off site as they were closing, then fix the broken starter bolt issue (left hand drill bit, cordless drill, electrical tap around the bit to keep it centered in the hole, and a new pair of starter bolts), then hot-wired the glow plugs (no card), started it, checked fluids and damper, and hit the road. All went well for the 350 mile drive home. Please remember, if it doesn't seem right, it probably isn't and it needs a trailer.

Good luck, welcome to the addiction,
Christopher

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks