• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transporting Non-Runners

locrwln

For those that have purchased non-runners; how have you dealt with getting it shipped? Does the shipper have the ability to winch it onto their trailer for transport? Does it require a special shipper for non-runners? Is that part of the shipping quote you get if you use GP's shipping estimate tool (vehicle specific) or is their estimate a generic estimate without regard to the condition of the truck?

There have been a few come up, still in the hunt for the right 1078, and I see that some of the members here have stated that they purchased non-runners and had them shipped. This is all new to me and I am still learning about how purchasing one of these still works.

Thank you,

Jack

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I prefer not to use GPs shippers. You would have to find a shipper with a winch and ramps or drop deck. Sometime you can find independent guys on uship. I personally don't like brokers.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With 939series 5ton trucks, towbars are the solution. The LMTVs are not as conducive to being flat towed.

Flatbed with equipment ramps and a winch.

Be extremely cautious. GP has a tendency to view these trucks as scrap and treat them accordingly. If your shipper shows up with a flatbed and no ramps you run the risk that GP will simply pick your truck up with a forklift and load it that way. I've seen this happen more than once. The shipper needs to know to not allow that to happen.

Dead trucks are a complete roll of the dice. Anything from simply dead batteries to a siezed engine and everything in between. Note that if it doesn't run, you have absolutely no idea what is going on with brakes and transmission also...could be minor, could be catastrophic.

Don't read into the description too much. Example: "starter missing. Truck will not start or run." Do NOT assume that the missing starter is the cause of the truck not starting. It could very well be a seized engine preventing it from starting, and then they began picking parts off it....

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Someone new to LMTVs or military trucks might be better off buying a running driving truck. From auction or private sale. Even if you get your non runner delivered by a competent hauler if you don't have the capability to move it around or knowledge to get it operational yourself, paying someone to do it may add up fast and your deal of a non running truck may not be such a deal after all. Stay away from anything that looks like it has been forklifted, has obvious bent driveshafts or visible driveline damage, engine taken apart or a good portion of the engine in the cab.

MGKMartin

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DSCN1784.jpg
This is the last "non-runner" I got. My wife calls it the "used to be a truck". I hired a crane to load it at the GP lot and then another one to unload it when it got here. The non-runner before this one was all together and I hired a local driver that had a flat-bed with ramps and a winch. He used the air from his tractor to air up the brakes on my truck. We aired up the brakes again when it got here and I used my 925 to pull it off the trailer and into my driveway.

I completely agree with Will about avoiding anything that has been forklifed unless you are just planning on using the truck as spares for another runner. He also makes a really good point about the cost of getting some of these running. I have had a "non-runner" that was missing a $6.49 starter relay and another where the "cab wouldn't raise" that had an empty hydraulic tank, but I have seen them with holes in the block, engines partially disassembled (with parts missing), transmissions missing, to the whole front of the truck disassembled (like the one in the picture). You also need to remember that if the truck is considered a non-runner, it is only a matter of time before the motor pool guys start using it as a parts supply. They will gladly rob parts of of it to get another truck running again. Unless you have access to spare parts and the knowledge to get the truck running, it may be cheaper to buy one that is already what you want.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Specify that your hauler has a trailer with ramps. Then coordinate with the GP rep, most of the time they will shove your truck up on the trailer with a big forklift.
I have brought 3 non- runner LMTVs back to running/driving. Count on 40 hous of work.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine was a non runner on the other side of the country. Used the gp broker and used the truck don't run function, and repeated it many times in the comments. The shipper showed up without ramps or a winch, but they got it running and loaded it from a dock. When it arrived here, again no winch and had to jump the starter with a screwdriver to get it running, luckily they had ramps. It was a bit of a cluster, especially since the air dryer was broken and it wouldn't make air. If I had to do it again, I would find a shipper before bidding and know they had the right equipment. If my truck truly didn't run and was more than a bad relay, I would have been screwed.

locrwln

Thank you to everyone that responded. I think I will hold out for a runner after all. Everyone pretty much confirmed my fears/suspicions.

Jack

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably what I should have done , but couldn't resist an apparently complete inexpensive non-runner only 75 miles away. Going to get it this week. I'll let you know how I make out.

sjohn116

Do this...buy a runner and a non-runner...parts are expensive. Cheaper to buy a whole truck of parts if you plan on keeping your running LMTV running for the foreseeable future.

lmtvjunky

Excellent ideas, I am 7 trucks deep and am now looking at non runner trucks for cheap, recent 1998 m1078 outta NM for $1100.00, can't beat it, now comes the shipping obstacles, tow bars, heavy fork lifts, wreckers etc, they all are very reasonable ways of getting the trucks on and off step deck trailers, I personally use a broker and he's never done me wrong, never, he coordinates extremely well with GP and handles all the dirty work, he calls me to give me all the details and let's me know exactly whats going on from his first GP contact to delivery, can't beat it it for a broker fee, all the head aches gone, I'm a self reliance guy and never like paying anybody to do anything for me, but since I've met Tyler he's transported over 12 rigs for me, love it

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks