• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trany questions

plym49

I tried double clutching, only helped a tad sometimes. I have not tried to raise the rpms, I can give that a try.

How would i differentiate between a bad shift key or a bad syncro?

Anyone have any pics of either part?
On down shifting, you need to blip the throttle when double clutching.

Sometimes it is enough just to blip the throttle as you pass through neutral without raising the clutch, since there might be enough drag on the clutch disk to let you spin the input shaft a little faster.

Going uphill (up shifting) you do not need to blip when double clutching.

This will solve the problem and in general puts less strain on synchros.

plym49

I will give it a try. I am sure its easy once perfected but now it goes against everything i know. I am trying to stop or slow down so raising rpm's seems counter intuitive.
It's just like Gen McG said.

The same road speed in a lower gear means the motor is turning faster.

It's not about slowing down. That is negative acceleration, or deceleration, which is the change of velocity over time.

At any moment in time, the motor spins at a higher rpm for the speed the vehicle is traveling at that moment in time, if in a lower gear.

Ergo, therefore and henceforth, you make it easier to shift if you blip the throttle when down shifting. I said blip, not race it ti red line, there is no reason to rev the motor higher than the rpm it would be going in that lower gear.

If you start shifting without the clutch, sometimes easier in a tranny with gears than synchros, it will all make sense.

Besides, don't be so hard on yourself. You've accomplished a lot in a short time and anyone with a shop like yours is not doing bad.

Last edited:

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
its funny that this thread got brought up.... i just bought a set of synchros and gasket kit from kublos today. i figure since i have the cab off, it will be a sinch to get the transmission out. for the price of another used transmission or even using my trasmission (which is still good just tempromental synchros), it was cheaper to just put synchros in it. at least this way i know ill have good synchros and good gaskets.

does anybody have any suggestions of anything else i should look for while i have it apart? i know i can look for obvious wear on things, but maybe somebody has something they learned on theirs that i could apply to mine.it would be a good time to put new seals in my PTO too. that way i dont have to worry about that at all. I think there is another thread about rebuilding the PTO.

the synchros i bought did not look like the one in the previous picture posted on this thread. these ones i bought are more of a basket design...

wb1895

does anybody have any suggestions of anything else i should look for while i have it apart? i know i can look for obvious wear on things, but maybe somebody has something they learned on theirs that i could apply to mine.

MURPHY.............Always look for Murphy............