• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Treating old diesel fuel

Blood_of_Tyrants

This really isn't a CUCV specific question, but since the old fuel is in an M1009, this is as good a place as any to ask. A google search revealed that diesel can degrade and grow algae, both of which can degrade and cause problems.

My question is this, is there a product that can be added to the diesel which will restore it or does it need to be drained and disposed of?

Stihl029

Just save your self the hassle and drain it and burnit off at say a bon fire. There are chemicals you can add that will prevent growth of the algae. I run stanayde injector cleaner and add it in before I fuel. If your feeling frisky and you want to clean the tank then you have to drop it. This is what one of my freinds did to my M1028 when he first got it.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I strain it (to remove cooties) and pour it into my deuce fuel container and mix it into the witches brew......I usually have some stuff in there that will warm it back up.....it still has BTU value even when stale.

zout

There are diesel fuel biocide (algae-x for one) )on the marker to kill tank algae. But you still do not want this stuff going through your fuel system either way. Drain - still add the treatment in case there is remnents hanging onto the walls of the tank - unless you do some sort of full flush to the tank/lines/housings.
Tanks sitting in the sun - undisturbed can grow algae - hardly know its there and it will be the last thing you would think of (unless you have dealt with it before)

Blood_of_Tyrants

I strain it (to remove cooties) and pour it into my deuce fuel container and mix it into the witches brew......I usually have some stuff in there that will warm it back up.....it still has BTU value even when stale.
Yea, I was thinking of using it in a deuce since it doesn't much care what you pour into it. The tanks seems to be about half full so I have about 13 gallons.

Phily

This really isn't a CUCV specific question, but since the old fuel is in an M1009, this is as good a place as any to ask. A google search revealed that diesel can degrade and grow algae, both of which can degrade and cause problems.

My question is this, is there a product that can be added to the diesel which will restore it or does it need to be drained and disposed of?
How long was the fuel sitting?

If it hasn't been sitting for too long, I would:

*I would iff possible, wait for a very hot, dry day and let it sit for several hours in baking heat. This is what the home-brew bio diesel makers do to their own personal vehicles to help evaporate water.

*I would also change the fuel filter if possible to do w/o priming. And use seafoam to prime the fuel filter. It know it's possible on other diesels, but I'm not sure on 6.2's.

*Go crazy with the white bottles of Power Service or whatever it is. It's got a diesel fuel base, so you can pretty much fill your tank w/ the stuff. I'd also add a few bottle of seafoam to the tank as well. And even a bottle of Stanadyne. Make a cocktail!

This is just what I'd do if I knew the fuel old but not so old I felt it was half varnish and sludge.

3dubs

I know my truck does not have a drain plug on the tank. I also could not get a hose in because it hit something like a baffle. But my local WalMart has stuff called "Diesel 911" and it is on clearance. I heard it works really good. It is for bad diesel, water in the fuel, and other junk I forgot.

As far as diesel going bad I could not find anything either but I was told that if you smell it and it smells like diesel it is good. The smell changes but I forgot what is supposed to smell loke. But I know it will last for years. Forget about diesel going bad and treat it for water in the tank. If you treat it before you start canking it over it is easier. Just through some Diesel 911 in to feel better and so you do not have to worry about what is in the tank.

If your CUCV has been sitting you will most likely have to bleed the air out at the injectors. There are instructions in a thread. If there is air in the lines it will get pushed through the IP and stay in the injector lines. First make sure you have fuel in the filter by checking the air bleeder on the filter base. The you have to do one injector line at a time. You need two people for that part.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks