• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trick to starting CUCV

ParamediCUCV

While headed to a friend's house, I ended up running out of fuel in the middle of nowhere, in the pitch black of night, and without a working flashlight. Had some diesel in the back, filled the tank, and bled the filter per the TM, but it just wouldn't start. Ended up calling AAA for a tow, and when the guy got there, he showed me an awesome trick...

Before I share this, let me just say that I know about the ether bomb that turns your CUCV engine into a paperweight, but this method, when done correctly, is not harmful it.

First, remove the air filter cover and filter. Next take a clean rag and apply a SMALL amount of GASOLINE to the center of the rag. Hold the rag over the air intake FIRMLY WITH BOTH HANDS, and have your buddy start the CUCV. As soon as the engine starts, remove the rag, and reassemble the air filter components. The vapor fumes from the gasoline help to jump start the engine without filling the entire combustion chamber with ether.

Two trys and I was in business. Didn't even have to pay for the tow!!

I was planning on making a cage for the rag that would fit into the bottom tray of the air filter, allowing for the rag to not get sucked into the intake manifold. That way I could do this method if I was by myself.

What do you think?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can leave the air cleaner on and use the rag on the air cleaner opening.

Make sure you disable the Glowplug system as gas fumes are extremely flamable near hot glowplugs.

I have used this "method" many times on the Deuces that don't have glowplugs.

Last edited:

ParamediCUCV

Thanks for the reminder. Just sticking my head under the hood while a stranger started it was nerve-wrecking enough for me. I don't plan on blowing myself up...but then again, who does?:lol:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not just look at the fuel gauge occasionally?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BTW, a gas soaked rag is almost as uncontrollable and explosive as using ether. You should disconnect the GP power before using any explosive vapor in the intake. (you probably still had a warm engine, sparing you the explosion, because your GPs were not on).

Westech

CPL
I am more inclined to think that it just primed it self and started on its own. You can gas it and ether it till **** freezes over but if there is no diesel coming out of the injectors that engine is not going to run.

kenz5380

Sounds like a decent idea to me. I don't know if these guys were kidding about gas being dangerous and I didn't get the joke, but any carburetor is spraying gas down into the throat when you depress the throttle cold so I'd say a little bit on a rag is pretty harmless. Heck, I've been around for quite a few little fires when starting newly assembled race engines. Its just one of those things that happens and you have to be ready for. I've never seen one that couldn't be put out with a few quick breaths to blow it out.
As far as the ether thing goes, in the Marine Corps we were constantly using ether to start our trucks. If its cold out and your glow plugs need replacing then sometimes there aren't a whole lot of options when the boss says he needs to move asap. I never saw any negative repercussions from the ether, not to say that they don't exist, I just didn't experience them. I'm not a MT Marine though, just a radio operator. I have never used ether on my personal trucks, but I would if I absolutely had to to get the truck on the road.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No joking by me.

A rag soaked with gasoline is very dangerous, especially when you have red hot glowplugs in the cylinders. It's the vapor that is explosive, not the liquid.

ParamediCUCV

That is true, DH, and the engine was warm since I had been driving it. I don't have the GL relay, but the push button mod., so no glow plug boom, but thanks for the input. I didn't think to mention it to the others about that important detail.

As far as the fuel gauge, I'm in the middle of a cluster replacement, and apparently the donor gauge is inaccurate; it was reading that I still had a quarter tank left.

Not trying to blow anybody up, just learned something new that worked for me, and wanted to hear from y'all. Appreciate the comments from the more experienced guys like yourself.

ParamediCUCV

That is true, DH, and the engine was warm since I had been driving it. I don't have the GL relay, but the push button mod., so no glow plug boom, but thanks for the input. I didn't think to mention it to the others about that important detail.

As far as the fuel gauge, I'm in the middle of a cluster replacement, and apparently the donor gauge is inaccurate; it was reading that I still had a quarter tank left.

Not trying to blow anybody up, just learned something new that worked for me, and wanted to hear from y'all. Appreciate the comments from the more experienced guys like yourself.

Hanns

That was a classic "got back in the vehicle, developed static charge with butt on seat and discharged static charge into the pump" type of fire. You could see her scooting her butt around on the seat in the car. If she would have just stayed outside the car it wouldn't have happened.

southdave

I had to do this a couple of week ago & it took about an hour, with new GSA truck but I install new plugs at the time

here a trick.. pull the pink wire pull all the glow plugs out then open the drain cock on the filter.. hit the starter for 10 sec. 2 twice close the filter repeat the last. then reinstall plugs and pink wire. Guarinteed to prime the motor

The motor spins freely with no compression, but all the crap in clyd. is avery where, but it beats buying a new starter or recharging your batteries four times

Last edited:

Asgar

Has anyone just used WD-40? In the winter on marine diesels this was the standard practice. I have not done this with a CUCV but it should have the same effect. What I don't know is how it will work with glow plugs and pre-combustion chambers, the marine engines had pre-heaters.

With the motor cranking, put a few puffs down the intake and it starts right up. The theory, right or wrong, was that it is just fine oil + whatever gas they put in the can to spray it with.

I'm surprised the WD-40 idea never comes up, this was always deemed the 'safe' thing to do vs. using either.

The MSDS says it contains:

Aliphatic Hydrocarbon
64742-47-8
45-50
Petroleum Base Oil
64742-58-1
64742-53-6
64742-56-9
64742-65-0

<25
LVP Aliphatic Hydrocarbon
64742-47-8
12-18
Carbon Dioxide
124-38-9
2-3
Surfactant
Proprietary
<2
Non-Hazardous Ingredients
Mixture
<10

ryan77

Any thing flammable that contacts the glow plug will resort in engine damage and possible injury!!!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WD-40 has been discussed many times before.

The issue is glowplugs and propper proceedure, not starting fluid choice.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks