• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tried to be slick.....

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
......But it didn't work. Thought I could raise the rear end of the 816 so it would be easier to switch out the tires. Tried booming down on the pipe stands, and also winching up at the same time. Guess it just doesn't have enough a$$ to lift itself.

Attachments

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the boom lift cylinders were not able to move then it would never work. Maybe if you moved the boom down while pulling up on rear with the cable.

But what do I know, I wish I had a wrecker.........

jaxsof

You should be kinda glad it didn't. ...when the front tires rolled out, and the rear end dropped, bending the boom jacks and possibly (probably) killing whomever was under it.

The rams arent sized for powering down, and lifting from the center is seriously overloading your boom.

Just drive onto a timber crib, as Papercu said, and PLEASE, CHOCK IT before you trust your life to gravity being your friend today

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see a chock in front of the drivers side front tire.

I am guessing from what I see, he was swapping to singles, from duals. How you gonna do that driving onto boards?

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
The way I understand it...and I'm no expert...but I know a little::oops:

The boom has very little down pressure...it's made to lift, so it won't lift the rear by lowering the boom etc.

The boom/cables transfer much/most of the weight to the turntable/center of the truck...again...won't lift the rear.

jaxsof

I see a chock in front of the drivers side front tire.

I am guessing from what I see, he was swapping to singles, from duals. How you gonna do that driving onto boards?

Not boards, but a timber crib. There used to be an expediant jacking procedure where you drive one axle of the tandems up onto a crib to lift the other axle. Personally, I own a jack. I have a mechanical ratcheting one, but an hydraulic one can be had from the Chinese import places (Horrible Freight) for under $50.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
You could have used the rear winch, hook the cable over the boom at the support point, as you winch in, lower the boom as the rear comes up, bet this would have worked if the supports held, which I would think thay would.

In the recovery tm, it shows using the front winch and 2 polls or timbers to self lift to get a stuck truck out of a hole.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pete could have fired up the old frankentruck too. I have used the down stroke on my M108 to poke holes in tires and to drive sign posts. Never tried to lift the back. I have lifted the front trying to rip a stump out.

Attachments

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny, Frankenstein was busy lifting tires, mounting them on Hemtt rims. I was using the block in conjunction with the boom down. It worked a little, but just not enough to get the rear end off the ground. And BOTH front wheels were chocked. Thought about taking a pic of that, figured someone would comment on that. I am using an air jack, just thought it might be quicker than moving it for every tire.

BTW, Good Eye, Doghead! :beer:

jaxsof

Absolutely, Great Eye, but it shouldn't have been a case of where's Waldo. There should have been one on both side of that wheel.

Ron, good call, I had completely forgotten the rear winch.

Srjeeper

Couldn't ya swing the boom to the side, hook low on a tree and pull the cable in to raise the far side tires off the ground?

Then just reverse that proceedure for the other side? Never fooled with one so I don't know what they can and cannot do.

spicergear

It DOES have boom down power as they're double acting cylinders for the boom. It must have boom down pressure to overcome the load holding valves. They hold the weight and pressure on the hydraulic system so the pressure isn't strictly held at the valve like a simple double acting system. The power of the rams is greatly reduced because of already having to push past the load holders PLUS you're pushing on the small side of the piston inside the ram so that greatly reduces area and power.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M108 has plenty of down pressure, and will lift the truck. Like Kenny, I've used it to dismount tires. The garwoods may not have as much, A/W cranes have one large piston.

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dodged all the rain and lightening today. Got 2 tires mounted on the rims and all the rear tires on. Will get the front ones on in the morning, followed by pics, of course!

Alredneck

Banned
The truck weighs almost 40k, and it almost all in her fat a$$! I use my wheel loader but it groans under that heavy b!tch!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks