• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

trip to Howard Hammonds place

eddiec

yeah, i've heard it is all gone, but i am going to have to check for myself.

how many of you have been there. those that have know what i mean. it will be another week or two before i can go, but i will go.
anyone still have any pics from their visits there. here is one of my son, Tylor, myself, and hookin1, taken by DAVEP.

Attachments

Blood_of_Tyrants

I was there about two years ago when scrap metal was high and he was busy crushing everything as fast as he could. There were a bunch of Gamma Goat chassis there but little of anything else.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was there about a year ago and they were loading up the last of it. There was some trailers still behind his shop (the background of the pic) and a few containers with mostly junk around the shed but that's about it. He had a 5-ton winch and a 45,000lb wrecker rear winch that he had pulled out of the scrap pile where they were loading the trucks. I bought the wrecker winch.

If you have been by there when all the stuff was still there you wouldn't believe the place now. Doesn't look like the same place and you will almost drive past it because it's changed so much.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If your going just to look and see, have at it. If you want military parts, PM me. I have a trip elsewhere planned. You are more than welcome to come along.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn, You brought back some good memories with those pics. It's a shame it's all gone. Accually pretty suprising that they could get rid of all of it as fast as they did. Howard and Buddy are good people but Buddy never did care for the stuff like Howard did. He saw the chance to make some quick cash when scrap prices got high.

It's just as shame :-(. There's not too many places left that had as much stuff as they did and would give you "the run of the place".

btrapr

Are you guys referring to Henry's Trucks in Albemarle, NC??? Jus tcurious...I talked to him about a week ago and he said that he has a few pick-ups...I was actually headed that way when I found my 84' M1008...

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you guys referring to Henry's Trucks in Albemarle, NC??? Jus tcurious...I talked to him about a week ago and he said that he has a few pick-ups...I was actually headed that way when I found my 84' M1008...
No, They are talking about Howard Hammonds in Greenville,KY.

Mike_L

I used to go there in 2002-2004 when I was stationed at Ft Campbell. Best yard I ever walked, like Disneyland for OD junkies. I would go up in the mornings and walk the fields all day. Always found something and always got good deals on what I hauled out. Only talked to Howard once, my first trip up. The rest of the time I dealt with Buddy. Last I looked on Google Earth, the satellite photos definitely showed an emptiness to the fields.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks