• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

trip to Kublo's from Boston in M813 in the big snow storm of october

Vintage iron

I decided to get some tires from Kublos Surplus and I decided that my M813 needed a good ride. As the weekend of the trip came. The weather said it would snow. Being a Marine and knowing I was taking the 5 ton, I decided to go anyways. The trip down was no problem, just slow and stead. The hills are a challenge and I wish I had a few more gears to keep the rpms up. Great country and lots of fun getting there.

The people at Kublos are the best and they have a little of everything. I wish I could have stayed longer but it was snowing when I arrived. I got loaded, replaced a bad wiper arm, put on a new fuel filter and hit the road. These steap PA. roads were intereting in the snow, but the weight of eight 1600's in the back helped.

Now, this is were it gets interesting. I am now driving in the middle of the snow storm and the plows are not out yet. I needed to keep pulling over to tighten the wiper arms and tighten the load, but I had both good to go by the time I hit 81S. The drivers in PA. and western NY were great and everyone was was going slow and steady. It was fun passing everyone! The truck was great in the snow, in fact I think she likes it! Then they closed the highway I am now sure where I was because all the signs were covered in snow. Well I went around the cones and went on my way. It was a winter wonderland for me and my M813, just us and the stormy road. This was great till we hit a traffic jam near RT 17. A tractor trailer wrecked and shut down Rt 84 east. While I was in traffic I pulled a loaded tractor back on to the road. He had slid off the road in the stop and go traffic. The traffic was stopped, so I was forced into the back roads of NY.

What a nightmare! Nothing but idiots in communter cars spinning their tires and tractors camping in the middle of the road. I stopped at a cool little bar to charge my phone and get some intel on what roads were moving. I wanted to make sure that I could keep moving I was on a quarter tank of fuel and there was no power anywere. I heard that 216 to RT 55 to RT 22 would get me close to the CT. boarder so I climbed back in and away we went. Man, it was bad! there were downed trees and abandoned cars everywhere. I made it back to 84 East and it was shut down. Again I made my way around and at the CT boarder the roads were plowed clean. :grin: Now to get fuel! I would pull off and no diesel, try again same thing. Finally I had to mix in some gasoline. I figured I had about 10 gallon of diesel so I put in 2 gallons of gas. The Cummins didn't mind it at all and it got me to a diesel station in Waterbury. From there it was easy cheesy to my buddies in Merdan CT. I pulled into his driveway at 4;00 am. I had been on the road in the 5 ton for 25 hours. What a day. My ass was sore and my knees were ready to come unhinged, but it was a experiance!

The next day my Marine buddy and I changed my oil and I took my babby home. She served me well. What a day

91W350

In those conditions, it sure feels good when you find fuel. A guy can start feeling a little vulnerable when fuel gets short and everything is shut down. Glad you are safe! Glen

Bighurt

I've pulled into a gas station twice in my life sweating bullets only to fill the tank with a fraction less than the total tank capacity as listed byt hte manufacture...

I've run out twice.

Glad you made it home.

Last edited:

Vintage iron

If you live in NY, have a military winch truck and need to make money? Just go out in the next snow storm and pull cars and tractor trailer out of ditches on RT 84. I wish I had a nickel for every car or tractor I seen in the ditch. I saw a few cars way way off the road. Like a 100 feet away from the road! they must have been flying to spin out that far!

joshs1ofakindxj

Sounds like last winter when I drove to the Buffalo airport from Rochester, NY to pick up a friend and it was that one crazy storm they get every year that shuts down everything. I kicked my Jeep Cherokee in 4-hi and drove through 6" of snow the entire way. The plows couldn't get it off fast enough. I couldn't even tell you how many tractors and cars were in the ditch. If there was only one car stuck, I would of no doubt stopped and helped, but I would of been there all night that night and the tow trucks were out in force already, but I did see at least one tow truck stuck in the median haha.

On a more serious note, I carry a very long 3/8" hose and an electric fuel pump in my daily driver for that day that might come when the power is out for awhile and I can convince a gas station owner to let me pay cash and pump out of the ground.