• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trip to Minnisota to get my M1008A1 and the drive back

AC7KH

Having just bought off of E bay a 1984 M1008A1, now I am planning my trip from San Antonio to Cannon Falls to pick it up. The package deal is the M1008A1 and a M101A2 trailer. my truck includes the fiberglass shelter top and the wooden seats and commo bench, the truck is painted in standard woodland camo and the trailer includes the wooden sides and is painted desert tan. My ultimate plan is to restore and re-purpose it to it's commo roots for supporting the USCG Aux.

I fly out of SA on Thursday with the wic (wife-in-charge) to pick up the truck and drive it back

Will keep ya posted

Robert

Darwin T

just did Highlandhights, IL just north of Chicago to port arthur, TX last week in a M1031. having some with you will make the trip easier.

be careful.

AceHigh

Good luck with the trip, should be fun. I am guessing you will incorporate the rig into your ham radio hobby? It will be interesting to see what you do with it.

Godspeed, de WG8D, Doug

91W350

You will probably go east of me both ways as taking the angle for Interstate 35 through Wichita to Kansas City is a lot shorter, but if for some reason you decide to truck west on 90, 80 and south on US81 or I135, give me a shout. Otherwise, be safe and have a good trip. Are you planning to drive the truck home? Glen

AC7KH

Well flew into M&SP and the guy I was buying the rig from was right there. Took us home (remember WIC is aboard) and there is the "Beast" sitting there ready to go. So after a quick motor saddles off we go to a town just north of the Minnesota boarder for the night. After a good quiet nite, we fueled up (added some ATF to provide lube for the Low sulfur fuel,been doing that for the whole trip). Took off headed south to Wichita KS where the WIC (after checking the Craigslist from M&SP to SATX and all the spots in between for a Hoosier (a type of kitchen cabinet) got it loaded and made it on to Admore OK. Last leg to home in San Antonio. CUCV/M1008A1 is running great 15+ mpg and she purrs at 55 to 60. Now my back and shoulder are talking a lot and it seems that any place on the roaq where you have more than two lanes they get stupid. Even let WIC drive for 10 miles before they drove her nuts and I took back over. Thanks for all your support will post again from home base

Last edited:

AC7KH

Now I am home, caught up on sleep, and have already gotten the safety inspection done. Grandkids had to inspect it about an hour ago. Sean (5 years old ) has pronounced it as an acceptable army truck. Only thing left for tomorrow is the Texas registration, Will be putting on Amateur radio plates. All in all was a very successful recovery and trip. Thanks for all the support.

Robert
SSG, CAARNG/US Army Ret

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks