• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Triple batteries?

Sasquatch

I think I may need to replace my batteries soon. Has anyone running plows or big winches done a three battery setup to handle the 12v loads? Is this possible with the M1008 charging system? A lot of guys plowing run two battery set ups.

I was looking at batteries today and I could pickup three group 34 bluetop optimas for $450 total, at napa two group 31 yellow top optimas would run me $500. I know a lot of people like interstates also but my truck sits for long periods and I just hate dealing with acid and corrosion. Or is anyone running different size batteries front and rear? I currently have 2 group 31 exides but both seem to be on the weak side, 3 yrs old.

markg

the last m1009 i bought from the border patrol had 4 optimas, two in each tray. they were running extra equipment inside the truck.

Westech

CPL
you do not need more then two batteries. Each Alternator is rated at 100 AMPS. If you are using a 12V plow the stock system has more then enough amps to handle it. Any seasoned plow driver knows the two rules of plowing. Wait 5 min after you start the truck to warm it all up and top off the batteries and 2ed wait 5 min before shut down to cool everything off and charge the batteries. I have plowed with a 1995 S-10 blazer with a little 550 AMP battery for a long time and have never had a issue if I do the 5 min rule.

markg

Got any pics of the border patrol M1009? I've always wondered how they marked and painted?
it was stock military on the outside except it had a hinged hole in the roof, and a giant telescopic mast that had a camera mounted on top. the bumpers were both extended with hydraulic jacks in the 4 corners. the mast and camera equipment overloaded the truck . i m guessing the mast extended 20' above the roof. power to the hydraulics was by a dc motor with a fluid reserve. i think the mast was raised by compressed air. this was the early days when the border patrol was still using military hand me downs. i dont have any pictures. i didnt own a digital camera then. i picked it up in laredo,tx about mid 2002. i have never seen another like it. thats why they needed 4 batteries. i had to remove the tailgate to get the mast and related equipment out , im guessing it weighed about 2k. lots of weight in a blazer with no spring upgrade.

Last edited:

67_C-30

it was stock military on the outside except it had a hinged hole in the roof, and a giant telescopic mast that had a camera mounted on top. the bumpers were both extended with hydraulic jacks in the 4 corners. the mast and camera equipment overloaded the truck . i m guessing the mast extended 20' above the roof. power to the hydraulics was by a dc motor with a fluid reserve. i think the mast was raised by compressed air. this was the early days when the border patrol was still using military hand me downs. i dont have any pictures. i didnt own a digital camera then. i picked it up in laredo,tx about mid 2002. i have never seen another like it. thats why they needed 4 batteries. i had to remove the tailgate to get the mast and related equipment out , im guessing it weighed about 2k. lots of weight in a blazer with no spring upgrade.
Good grief I bet that was a wild looking unit with the mast extended.

Sasquatch

I always warm up the truck and let her cool down and I'm still having a lot of power drain and trouble with raising the plow. This Boss V plow weighs twice as much as any plow that will fit an S10 so it's putting a much bigger load on the battery. I've either got weak batteries or a failing pump. I'm getting batteries load tested today, alt's seem to be functioning properly, but they'll be the next thing after the pump to take off and check.

So if the batteries are going and having two batteries for the twelve volt side would help now is the perfect time to do it, commercial plowers don't run dual batteries for no reason.

A

A/C Cages

Whats a Snow Plow? LOLrofl

The State of Florida is the only state with NO snow right now.

Whats a Snow Plow? LOLrofl

The State of Florida is the only state with NO snow right now.
Yeah snow is only good if its on a cone with a little flavoring..

I am not sure how the system of these trucks are set up, but if the batteries are charged separately you can easy add another battery to the system. Just put it in parallel. just make sure those 2 are near same age and CCA and you good.

Westech

CPL
This Boss V plow weighs twice as much as any plow that will fit an S10 so it's putting a much bigger load on the battery. I've either got weak batteries or a failing pump. QUOTE]

You have to remember I have half the battery too.. I am only running a 550 CCA battery and a 85 AMP alternator (your running a 100 amp). if you are having charging problems its not because you are only running one battery. Get yours tested and go to the auto shop and have them test how many amps the pump is drawing. It should not draw more then 175 amps! if so take the motor out and clean her up and slap in a new set of brushes. If you plow like I do you need to rebuild the pump every other year. Remember the plow pump is a starter motor more or less, many many cycles working very hard = short life.

Sasquatch

I'll see how the batteries test at lunch, I didn't realize pumps needed rebuilt that often, that's probably it, it had been a while since the fluid had been completely drained, who knows how long since a rebuild. Just replaced all the hydraulic hoses and put in new plow and battery cables, I also cleaned all the screen filters and checked all the valves and coils.

Thanks.

That M1009 sounds like a pretty wild looking truck.

Whit

HAH! I recognize that one. It was the "FRED" the Fast Removing Erection Device. No kidding.... Really! I am famiiar with it because I did work for the company that designed it back in the mid-1980's. I think the Border Patrol only made a handful of them. Amazing piece of equipment. Whit

markg

HAH! I recognize that one. It was the "FRED" the Fast Removing Erection Device. No kidding.... Really! I am famiiar with it because I did work for the company that designed it back in the mid-1980's. I think the Border Patrol only made a handful of them. Amazing piece of equipment. Whit
thanks . whats weird is that when i bought it from gsa they said nothing about anything inside the truck. in the picture you could see blacked out windows but looked to be a standard m1009. when i got it home it had a set of 24v slave cables and a 50' chain with the big U in the middle. nice extra's besides what was already there. i wish i would have kept it, probably a good collectable now.

Last edited: