• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Troop seat matriel question

stumps

Well, after dealing with wood provided by Cranetruck, I'd be forced to send out for yellow locust for any of my projects. The stuff just about wears like iron. More than you need for troop seats but makes one heck of a truck bed floor.
Locust is a terrific wood for stuff like that! It is naturally resistant to all manner of rot and bugs, it is tough as nails, and it weathers well. The only problem is it wears out your tools, and tends to be a bit dimensionally unstable. It makes great fence posts, and truck and trailer beds.

-Chuck

mckeeranger

Modern pressure treated woods (ACQ) are galvanicly corrosive with most metals. Keep an eye on them.
Excellent point. I never even considered the corrosive properties of the new treated wood.

I did use stainless bolts just to avoid typical moisture rust, and they will also work well with the treated lumber. I should have put some kind of barrier between the wood and metal. Small, thin squares of neoprene would work, or just some 15# building felt. Oh heck, some good thick paint may be enough.

I'll probably deal with that when I get the truck ready to paint this spring. I hate to take it back apart 2 days after replacing the wood, and it should be fine until then.

Thanks for pointing that out, I completely missed it.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree the pics of the "oak wood" doesn't look like any oak I've ever seen. It may be some type of oak that is in other parts of the country but it's not Tennessee oak. I tend to go with everyone else and say it's pine.

I can get oak around here for about $.50 a board foot at local sawmills. That's not too bad. It will be unfinished and have to be air dried a few months though.

Locust is great for resisting rot but it tends to warp if not held down really well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks