• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Troop seats on backwards

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ran across this pic on the web from Operation Desert Storm. What caught my eye is the troop seats are on backwards. I've never seen them done like this, I guess it's a way to add extra cargo space.

Attachments

Chief_919

Its usually done to allow rucksacks to be carried as shown on there with troops sitting on field expedient benches or the cargo facing outward so they can employ weapons easier.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen that a few times alao. The whole truck screams workhorse. Front bumper is proof. The 2 best parts of that photo is the guy sitting behind the driver and the cargo. That looks like the best seat in the house and the cargo? Taking the rented mule to deliver tires for the anemic HMMWV. Çlassic improvisation.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The front bumper seems proof that the winch on that truck works.....I bet the chain was wrapped around the bumper and the winch was (accidentally) engaged..... the bumper centre is pulled up and inwards.

CMPPhil

Hi

Reversing the seats to face out was common practice on CCKW kitchen trucks. It is even shown in the cook manual to provide extra storage and work space when three stoves are mounted across the front of the truck. Will dig on the manual and scan some photos. In that same manual they have plans for set of stairs to get down from the back of a duce carring a 5 gallon pot of soup.

Cheers Phil

Added pictures
Mess Management.jpgMess Management Stairs.jpgMess Management Stairs 1.jpg

Last edited:

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great picture. When it's time to repaint the duece, I'm going with the inverted "V".

deuceman51

Yup, our cooks used to do that to store things on when they served out of a deuce. They used to put the coffee and juice containers up there so you just reached up and pulled the valve to get your stuff. Also kept the trays and things on them. Fond memories!!!!!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen that a few times alao. The whole truck screams workhorse. Front bumper is proof. The 2 best parts of that photo is the guy sitting behind the driver and the cargo. That looks like the best seat in the house and the cargo? Taking the rented mule to deliver tires for the anemic HMMWV. Çlassic improvisation.
All the other people look on edge, waiting for something to happen. The guy behind the driver is just kicked back, enjoying the ride.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So.... wouldn't this be inside out vs. backwards? lol.

Anyone try this with an MTV yet? (not that it would work without some major modifications)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks