• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Troop transport trailer

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know the military had trailers to transport troops, even two-stories high from WW II. I could not find documentation and trailer identification on newer, post WW II versions. Any idea?

DSC_0695c.jpg

I saw this one a few months ago at a small historic air show and it clicked. Getting permission to transport people in the back of our M51A2 might be a problem. However, as tractor version, I could pull something like this and it might be easier to get permission for museum tours. This is an old airport people trailer, but now has license to drive on the normal road as well. I would make a shorter version for 20 people max, to double as camper and/or traveling exhibition about the Cold War and the US Engineers.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only Place I have seen those type of trailers is at Foreign Airports where you are driven on the tarmac to your airplane typically if the airport is small or the airplane is too big to use the terminal.

Here in the United States, that has all but dissapeared as airport terminals have been constantly remodeled and upgraded. Very few might use a small bus but I am not aware of any offhand?

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I showed this one as example, I was hoping the US military would have used something similar to transport troops so I could use that documentation to convince DoT here that such things do/did exist.

Al Harvey

We use to get shuttled around on cattle cars at Fort Lewis. Not sure if this is what your looking for, I found these pics on the web.
cattlecar-1.jpg SPC_Kinney_on_cattle_car.jpg

Al Harvey

Not sure what the official capacity was but we always keep stuffing people as long as the doors would somewhat close. I believe we use to have at least 40 people with gear on one, but probably more with people standing in the door ways.

nattieleather

What's the difference between riding in a trailer and riding in the back of a duce and a half or 5 ton? The Army say it's unsafe in the back of the 2.5 or 5 ton but I can't see that friggen trailer being any safer.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't know if it will work legally, but the trailer would have forward-facing seats and you could even include seat belts. Troop transport carriers always face sidewards without seat belts. My first idea was to stick to the 12 people max, but make a special extra floor with forward -facing seats with seat belts. Or us something like the old Ford Transit rear seat rows. Three seats next to each other as one unit and then bolted to the dump bed. Feedback here says that such tricks will be close to impossible to get permission for. However, a special people trailer might give less problems (don't ask why).

I still would go for a shorter trailer, not the max allowable size, and make it multi-functional. That way, I can easily switch between modules and still keep the M51A2 as original as possible.

RodUSMC1962

We had "cattle cars". Trailer pulled by a semi tractor, not a tactical vehicle, pulled by civi tractor for on base transportation. Rode sitting forward like on a bus. Bad a riding in back of a deuce. :driver:

wilfreeman

They must have had different cattle cars when I was in - we were always standing, holding onto rails running along the ceiling - sure did stink with all those arms up in the air after a long day(s) in the field! "Make your buddy smile!" was the favorite call when loading up!

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Can't do the cattle car anymore either. I've had more than my share of trips in those things...as well as time on the LPC's.

LPC = Leather Personnel Carrier = marching