• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trouble finding 6CTA starter

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shoot me an engine serial number and I'll see if it was built with it. If it was, I can get you a Cummins p/n.

jwaller

Good luck, I've been on the hunt for a long time, story is you can use the same starter as the NHC250 but you have to turn the snout around 180 deg.

I have bolted one up to my 8.3 and it fits like that and does work.

R Racing

I might very well be wrong but I thought they were the same as the cummins 250 and 400 engines ?????????? If not I bet someone on here has 1.

R Racing

Just for grins and giggles once you get a p/n call Wengers in mechanicsville. He rebuilt 1 for me and had a shelf of them but not sure the voltage of what he had.

halftrack

Same starter except the bolts are smaller on the 8.3 motor. You need to get the special bolt sleeves in order for it to work and also rotate the head. There are a couple of 24V civilian starters that work just fine for the 8.3 and is alot lighter than the huge Lee starters.

SCRAP

Someone recomended I use a 12v civillian 8.3 starter, and there reasoning was it will crank harder and faster, be cheaper, and is designed to handle more amperage, he explained this is what he did with high performance vw engines in the 70's, they installed 6v starters in a 12v system and had no problems!!

does this sound logical or am I being fed a fish story?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Personally, I don't think a 12V starter is going to last long once you send 24V to it. I believe it will spin twice as fast as it was designed to.

Trango

When I installed the 3208 in a previous iteration of my deuce, I ran the 12v starter on 24v for a few years. It sure cranked quickly, but I didn't start it but maybe 500 times, so I'm not sure what the long term effects of 24v was.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks