• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trouble getting access to broken starter bolt

rickta24

I have a broken starter bolt closest to the rear of the truck. The driveshaft is in the way and I can't get a good angle to drill. My question is how hard is it to disconnect the front driveshaft?

Somemedic

4 nuts on the drive shaft-to-u joint holder thing (ran out of coffee this morning, giv a brother a break). Get some new u-joints anyway and replace them since u really dont know when the last time they were replaced. Get the nice ones too, your shafts and pumpkins will thank u later.

rickta24

ok stupid question. I took off the 4 nuts and slipped out the u-bolt lookin things. Now how do I separate the driveshaft from the front axle? Does it just pop off with some force?

ida34

Carefully pry it towards the back of the truck. It should telescope backwards to give you enough room to get it clear of the pinion yoke.

rickta24

ok I got the driveshaft off. But no success on getting this stupid broken starter bolt out. I am using a kobalt bolt extractor. It's not long enough so we rigged a wrench socket and stuck it in the drill. No luck. What can I do? A different tool??

Thanks for all the help.
Rick

Somemedic

I used a craftsman cordless drill and their ez out set. I used it about 5 times in a month. I got pretty good at it. Might have to take the bell housing protector off too, about 5-6 bolts. Plenty of room. Do a small pilot hole first btw,and then use the ez out. It worked like butta

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Latest CUCV from Memphis auction also had a broken starter bolt. Dropped front d/s, removed flywheelcover, drilled pilot hole with cordless drill, and as I was backing out the drill bit, along came the blasted broken bolt too! Who says you can't get lucky once in a while?!

Attachments

Tanner

You MOST DEFINITELY need to run the rear brace piece on the starter on a 6.X motor; otherwise, you'll be back under it again fixing more damage.

'Tanner'

2deuce

That broken bolt up there has nothing holding it if the threads aren't screwed up. Just stick a screwdriver up there, find a rough spot where it broke and spin it out. The piece is probably about an inch long.

86M10086.2L

Yeah, with mine. I just dimpled it with a punch, then used a pick and just spun the broken piece out. Just a note though, mine broke with the brace on. Although I suspect it was due to it being a tad loose.

airmech3839

After drilling out screws and all sorts of things on airplanes....bolts are easy!!! and bigger too....little more forgiving than some small bolts..... if you did not drill deep enough it wont grab!! make sure you use proper drill bit to match the ez-out you are using as well....that is where most people make the mistake...... have fun!!!

Tracy

bkwudzhom

I just went through the same deal with my 1008. I used a center punch to mark center. I used a Firestorm cordless drill and a 1/8 inch Hitachi bit from lowes. The bolt kept catching and finally bottomed out in the hole allowing me to finish drilling a decent hole. I then used an extractor and was able to remove the broken bolt by hand. I also bought new bolts from GM and the bracket for less than $10. Cheap insurance I think.
Good luck,
Jody