• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trouble Getting Title On Items Without Manufacturer Or Date Manufactured On Dataplate

gottaluvit

I recently picked up a few different trailers from Govplanet that didn't have the "real" manufacturer or the year manufactured. You know, the items that just say "U.S. Army Automotive and Tank Command". I am "trying" to title my M1061A1 as it weighs over 4000 pounds curb weight and has to have a title in Ohio. Well, I just got sent on a wild goose chase by the county to the state and from the state back to the county. My county title department tried to title it by contacting Columbus and then told me I must go through the salvage vehicle process, through the highway patrol. They told me I have to go through my county common pleas court. The county common pleas court tells me now I must get a lawyer to file a petition so the judge can order me a title. What a major hassle, just to be legal because the STUPID rework companies dont fill out the new dataplate with the proper info. They should be mandated to have an E1 stamp this (or any) data in the blank spaces on these inadequetly filled out data plates before sending stuff to DRMO to be sold to the general public. It really should be just as illegal for Govplanet to sell anything that needs a title to us , as much as it is for me to sell it to Bob down the street without a title. Heck, I can't even scrap a car without a title! So, lesson learned is, I won't bid on anything that don't have the year of manufacture, or the manufacturer's name in the title of the auction.

Last edited:

MtnSnow

Gottaluvit,

"US TACOM" is the Manufacturer and it shouldn't be that hard to figure out the year of the trailer and then GP can issue a SF-97 or have a titled issued. Attached is images from my 1987 TACOM M105a2 SF97 & Re-Assignment which got me a Utah title & plates without issue.
SF97_reassignment-TACOM.jpgSF97-TACOM.jpg

gottaluvit

Gottaluvit,

"US TACOM" is the Manufacturer and it shouldn't be that hard to figure out the year of the trailer and then GP can issue a SF-97 or have a titled issued. Attached is images from my 1987 TACOM M105a2 SF97 & Re-Assignment which got me a Utah title & plates without issue.
View attachment 609073View attachment 609074
Thanks. I will contact GP and get the ball rolling in that direction.

gottaluvit

Gottaluvit,

View attachment 609073View attachment 609074
There is a rework tag with the date reworked, but other than that, how did you figure out the year yours was manufactured?

KaiserM109

From what I was able to find out when I registered my 2 M105s is that the government, at least up until 1990, didn't title trailers. They treated them just like any small piece of equipment like a generator. On my paperwork was a 'LOT NUMBER' which the women used on both of them. BUT someone else had done the same thing with another trailer with the same lot number. The woman just added an 'A' to it and away I went.

When I registered my M101, I registered it as "HOMEBUILT" because half of it was. I only used the box and frame from a scrapped trailer. I added wheel spindles and a tongue we built in the shop.

Surely someone else has run into this problem in Ohio!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1061A1 trailers were built by Utility Tool & Body. I would make GP give me a title or SF97 with that on it. TACOM is a department of the DOD, not a manufacturer.

gottaluvit

M1061A1 trailers were built by Utility Tool & Body. I would make GP give me a title or SF97 with that on it. TACOM is a department of the DOD, not a manufacturer.
That's how I saw it. I got the process going with the SF-97. I will put the rework company as the manufacturer and the date that was done as the date of manufacture. No access to printer now, so it will wait until this evening/Monday.

gottaluvit

To follow up and not leave the thread dangling, I went through GP and just paid for a title. I had to use a special form to fill out and send to them with any identifying info I could find on the trailer designating it's year and make. I put the rework company as the manufacturer and used the date of the rework. When I got the title back from GP they had U.S. Army on the title and my county title office was okay with that and used the same on the Ohio title in my name. I have since traded the trailer off for my newer M1082. Oh, and by the way the commercial trailer plates are much cheaper in Ohio for heavy trailers.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks