• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trouble removing freeze plug (pic included). Please help!

forest522

Update - another M1009 freeze plug photo

I spent a couple of hours on these two this weekend. Tough place to get into but better than the other ones for sure. Nice set of new brass plugs with a little RTV. Not one of my favorite things to do

cucvrus

From the picture it appears that the flanges are not flush with the block. Are they flush with the block? That is what holds them in under extreme pressure. They expand and get tighter. If they are not flush with the block they expand and push out under pressure. If they are flush you are good if not IMHO they should be pressed in further. Anyone else know something I don't please speak up.

Stonepicker1

From the picture it appears that the flanges are not flush with the block. Are they flush with the block? That is what holds them in under extreme pressure. They expand and get tighter. If they are not flush with the block they expand and push out under pressure. If they are flush you are good if not IMHO they should be pressed in further. Anyone else know something I don't please speak up.
:ditto:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also looks like he hit them on the edges(damaged), so they will no longer seal/seat properly if they are driven to the correct depth.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also looks like he hit them on the edges(damaged), so they will no longer seal/seat properly if they are driven to the correct depth.
Agree

Those are ruined and need a new set installed properly.

The way they are now they will pop out very soon.
Summer for sure.

forest522

Indeed, the first few attempts with the socket kept bouncing around. Once I got in the right contorted yoga position I was able to get some nice well placed taps with the hammer into the extension and socket. Worked well, then I grew concerned I'd knock it too far. Thanks for the observations, very much appreciated as this was my first go at it. They were not easy to get out!
i will get back under there and deliver some more taps to fully seat them into place. Thanks again!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks