• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trouble removing Rt. Front axle to change boot on CV Joing

drowens1

I'm trying to change the boot on the Rt. Front CV joint. I have removed the 6 bolts holding one side at the brake disk. I have removed the 4 bolts holding the flange on the wheel hub side but so far I can't get the axle out. I know I'm missing something but since this is my first time to do this I am stumped. I need some advice.aua

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you removed the bolt holding the wheel end to the hub? Remove wheel, outside of hub is a large nut, just above the stud flange. Remove it. Behind that is another bolt that attaches the shaft to the hub. Its recessed into hub.

drowens1

Haven't done that yet. I was hoping I would be able to get it out without having to jack that vehicle up. Looks like that isn't part of the deal. I'll do that and get it finished up. Thanks for your quick reply.

Action

You took four bolts out of what? You only need to remove the 6 at rotor and one at end. As well as the big one one behind the wheel. Use a 3/8" extension to get that in and out.

drowens1

Ok I've got the shaft out. Removed the bands holding the bad boot. now I see a splined shaft with a keeper ring hold the bearing assembly to the shaft. So where do I proceed from here. I know I sound like a newby and I am, but I am willing to try this it doesn't look too difficult. I just don't want to damage any parts just trying to replace a boot.

GixxerSixxer

If i remember doing mine correctly. Move the keeper ring down the shaft then give the shaft a hard tug to free the shaft. There's a smaller keeper ring on the end of the shaft. That smaller ring is why you need to pull on it with some force. To remove the balls and free the cage/race tilt the race to an extreme angle which forces a ball to the edge. From there use a piece of wood to pry the ball out. Then just keep working your way around the race.

You will want to use CV grease, wheel bearing grease isn't meant to work with the loading a CV joint sees as opposed to a wheel bearing.

papakb

It might be easier to just go to Southern Axle Exchange and buy a rebuilt axle if you've never rebuilt one before.

Here's some more info:
http://www.redhummer.com/myhummer/halfshafts/index.html

alphaseventwo

Photo May 31, 6 38 49 PM.jpg
theres a keeper ring you cant see on the end of the shaft. place the shaft in a vise, and find something to tap the cv joint past it with.

Photo May 31, 6 40 55 PM.jpg
this second pic shows the cv removed from the shaft, but you get a look at the smaller keeper ring on the end that you are trying to slide the cv past. the ring will compress into its groove as you tap on the cv joint. good luck.

drowens1

You are right about reading the tech manual. I just haven't been able to find the correct tech manual on the SS site that explains how to do it. I have gotten some good responses on what to do plus some YouTube videos have been helpful. I'm not really a mechanic but this looks like something I can handle. Thanks

alphaseventwo

The TM won't tell you HOW to do it. This is a huge misconception on this site. It just shows you the exploded view, and assembly/removal order. The TM's are full of usefull information, don't get me wrong, -read them- but instructions that ultimately read like this; "Half Shaft Removal. Step 1, Remove the halfshaft." are useless to guys who have little mechanical experience. I've been through the TM's hundreds of times, they've saved me hundreds of times, but they won't teach you mechanics.

Lawdog734

The TM won't tell you HOW to do it. This is a huge misconception on this site. It just shows you the exploded view, and assembly/removal order. The TM's are full of usefull information, don't get me wrong, -read them- but instructions that ultimately read like this; "Half Shaft Removal. Step 1, Remove the halfshaft." are useless to guys who have little mechanical experience. I've been through the TM's hundreds of times, they've saved me hundreds of times, but they won't teach you mechanics.
Except in this case, the TM does tell you HOW to do it. It took all of 5 minutes (I had to answer the phone) to find it in section 6.9 in TM-9-2320-280-20-2.

alphaseventwo

Except in this case, the TM does tell you HOW to do it. It took all of 5 minutes (I had to answer the phone) to find it in section 6.9 in TM-9-2320-280-20-2.
6.9 does not tell you how to remove anything. It just says 'remove'. that was my point. You think I didn't read that section too? "Pry spacer" with what? "Remove retainer" with what?- how? You've missed my point- you and I already know how ​to use the right tools, but the TM didn't teach you that. Sadly, there's going to be a lot more newbies coming to this site with auction-bought hmmwvs and no experience mechanically. I was only trying to bridge that gap (should've known better.)

Lawdog734

6.9 does not tell you how to remove anything. It just says 'remove'. that was my point. You think I didn't read that section too? "Pry spacer" with what? "Remove retainer" with what?- how? You've missed my point- you and I already know how ​to use the right tools, but the TM didn't teach you that. Sadly, there's going to be a lot more newbies coming to this site with auction-bought hmmwvs and no experience mechanically. I was only trying to bridge that gap (should've known better.)
41083564031_3a9fdee472_o.png

Actually, it does have more than just "remove halfshaft". It's a 3 step process that tells you what exactly needs to be removed to pull a half-shafts out. Yes, if he read it, it would have told him why he was unable to remove the half-shaft from the truck while the wheel was still on the truck.

I'll certainly acknowledge that there is a level of mechanical aptitude expected in that it doesn't say "use a 9/16" combination wrench to remove the bolts from the xyz in a counter-clockwise motion", or how to remove the clamps to pull the boots. In the OP's case, he obviously shows at least a little aptitude since he made the effort to get it out in the first place, but the manual is more than just an exploded view with vague instructions.

drowens1

I have received a lot of good comments. I did find the procedure in the tech manual. IN TM 9-2320-280-20-2 Paragraph 6-9 there is an entire procedure for removing the half shaft with complete step by step instructions on removal and repair of the half shaft and boot. Thanks to everyone that responded. Now if I had gotten the correct boot instead of just a boot someone was selling on the internet I would be set to go. I may try a local auto parts for the correct boot or at least one that will work.

drowens1

One more thing, that same tech manual gives detailed instructions for both "A1" which is the one I have, as well as the A2. And also gives instructions for the rear. Incase anyone is interested.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks