• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trouble Replacing Canvas Cab Cover

Jared

Hello,

Have a new canvas cab cover going on an M813. What's the secret to getting the corded front into the groove at the top of the windshield frame? Do you just keep opening up the groove until the top will slide all the way across? Then crimp the groove back

Thanks,
Jared

steelandcanvas

Jared, Try using some spray silicone in the groove. I've used this stuff for alot of things that are difficult to get together. Try not to open the groove up...you don't want the canvas peeling back at highway speeds.

davidkroberts

i have the same groove in the windshield in my Gama Goat. The manual recommends a bit of lubricant along the cover to help it slide through. I cant remember which it recommends but i would assume a petrol based wouldnt be too good for it. Try "KY" jelly.

For any of the resident old farts who dont know whats KY is PM me and ill let you in on the secret:p

jason@snakeriver

If you have the canvas laid forward onto the hood and start working the welting into the awning channel.
If it is tight, you may want to spread the groove, but do it evenly all the way across.
If that is the way it is, how your welting interfaces into the channel, then it should not be nessecary to close it back up.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can rub a bar of Ivory soap on the canvas and across the slot above the windshield.

You could use Irish Spring for a more "Manly smell"!

Last edited:

citizensoldier

I use bee's wax and it works good. This will not hurt the canvas or leave stains. Smear the par that slides in the channel. Then flip it on the hood and start it.You have to keep even pressure and work it through slow. Do the same for the sides behind the door. If you pull off to the side just a little bit it will not go or you could rip it. Well there is my two cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks