• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trouble Starting

Olywadan

The other day I ran out of fuel in the Deuce about 20 feet away from the pumps. FML. Put more fuel in it, found out my fuel pump doesn't work, new fuse, and now my truck takes for ever to start. Before it started in about 3 seconds with about 3 turnovers, now it takes about 30 seconds worth of turning over and it turns over like a steam locomotive.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or have any ideas? Thanks.

Video included of problem.

M35A2 starting issue. - YouTube

AceHigh

What I hear is it wants to start, just not enough batteries. Did you check the terminals and condition of the batts? The gauge seems to indicate the generator is OK.

bullfrog1234

check your batteries. fluids, and connections. If you have or can borrow a battery cell check device , use it. Just one or two bad cells makes a hugh difference. If the batteries check out then you may need to bleed your line at the motor. Sometimes small trash can get into the line and block the flow either partial or full blockage. In that event it just takes a little time to flush the line and get it going.

smoke

I would definitely check the batteries. sound like it's cranking slow.If they check out ok would move on to fuel system maybe clogged filters or line from sucking up all the crud off the bottom of the fuel tank. Also you said that fuse blew in tank pump just because you replaced fuse doesn't always mean it is working again. May want to pull line off at tank check to see if it is pumping.Also while you are at it check the in-tank send unit and make sure rubber hose in the tank is good still.
Just my 2cents

phil2968

I watched your you tube video. You will soon melt a battery terminal if it is loose. If you don't have a bad battery connection, you have a bad cell or two in your batteries. Check the cells with a hydrometer. Get a small one from a parts store with 4 little balls, not pro quality but tells the same story.
A compression ignition engine needs some piston speed to build the heat needed to ignite the fuel. You don't have the speed at first but it does reach a point that the heat is made and it lights off.

Olywadan

So the batteries read at 24.4 volts with everything off and 22.9 with the master on. I checked all the cells and they are well into the green mark. I just got back from napa and have the fuel filters ordered and gonna change them out tomorrow and see what happens then.

Holding my ear to the fuel tank I can hear it whirling and gulping inside after i changed the fuse. It didn't do it before I changed it.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How's your cable's? Have you checked the connections at the starter and the ground? If you have corrosion past the terminals that can cause problems as well. I'd also check the full length to make sure the cables don't have a spot where the insulation has worn through and is grounding out.

harleyrkc

You said you ran out of fuel. Did you purge all the air out of the fuel lines? Are you sure you got all the fuel out of the lines?

Olywadan

You said you ran out of fuel. Did you purge all the air out of the fuel lines? Are you sure you got all the fuel out of the lines?
No, i haven't done that yet. I'm reading the manual trying to figure out how to do it. Still pretty new to the Deuce.

Is there a napa replacement for the primary bleeder screw? I broke it and now it just spins around.

Olywadan

I loosened the bleeder valve on top of the secondaries and turn the master on and it gushed fuel about a foot into the air. I'm guessing that means there is no air in the lines. That was with it sitting for a day and a half.

Can it be the starter? Can it be working at 50% power or is it a "it works or it doesn't" part?

Off to napa to grab my filters now.

Also, if I undo the fuel line to the primary filter will it keep sending fuel like a siphon or does it stop.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks