• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trouble with trans cooler line leak on M1009

Jetnoise400

Hi All,

I recently had to pull my oil pan and reseal it due to a badly applied treatment of vintage silicone and a subsequent leak...

So I had to disconnect the trans cooler lines from the trans to get the torque converter cover off, to get the oil pan off, etc...

Everything went back together ok, but now I've noticed a slight drip from the lower trans cooler line at the transmission fitting. It's behaving as if it's loose. I put a wrench to it, and it's tight, so I don't think it's that. I didn't use any teflon on the threads because it's a compression fitting. Did I do something wrong?

The only other thing I thought of (this morning on the way to work) is that when I got the oil pan back in place and reconnected the trans cooler lines, they were pressed up against the back of the oil pan pretty hard. So much so that after I tried (and failed) to loosen things up and make some room I wound up putting a bit of fuel line between the lines and the pan to keep them from rubbing. Plus the clamp that attaches to the torque converter cover was difficult to put back on and might be putting a bit of a side pull on those lines.

Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated! Sorry for being so wordy

DrFoster

I had a similar problem with a different vehicle. I simply took off the line again, put on some thread locking compound after a SERIOUS cleaning with brake parts cleaner and drying and then everything went back together. I've also noticed a few vehicles that needed the lines replaced because the seals on the fittings were just shot after one removal, kinda like it was only meant for one tightening.

ida34

There should also be an small adaptor between the trans and the line. This is so that the occasional cross threading does not mean anything more than changing the fittings. They are meant to be left in the trans unless they are damaged. You may have inadvertantly lossened the fittings. Loosen the line then tighten the fitting ( be carefull ) and then tighten the line again and see what happens.

ida34

The bushing should be brass so look it over to make sure the threads are straight. If it is cross threaded pull it out and take it to the auto store. They should have them.

Good luck.
Chuck