• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Troubleshooting possible T-case issue

rustyg

Hi Guys,
Last night i tried to pull out a stuck 18 wheeler, his trailer was down a bank.
We hooked him up with 3 chains at different anchor points to distribute the load on
his trailer frame, as I went to pull him up the bank, I heard and felt a loud pop. I went
back and found one of the chains had come off, I thought this was the source of the noise. I had no luck budging his trailer so we called in a wrecker. As I went to park my truck later, I felt a pop coming from the rear or transfer case, so I stopped, put the truck in neutral and hit the e brake and the truck rolled backwards (i know theres a clue in there somewhere :) I engaged the front axle and limped home slowly. The pop
occured once every 10 seconds or so as I drove it to the nearby barn.

The big rig drove in my driveway over a small bridge, someone told him there was a
wal mart back here:cookoo: i live in the boonies. He took out about 50' of fence taking the turn into my drive, we have to take it widewith our Suburban, he had a llonngg trailer! nice enough young guy, lacked some critical thinking skills maybe, we lifted and pushed him off the bank with the big rotater truck and our pettybone, looks like a
war zone in the area. We got him back on the road adout 4:30 this morning, he stuck it around 1:30.

Any recommendations about tracking the source of the noise? Im hoping theres a fix with the t case still in the truck, I can dream:mrgreen:

Thanks in advance!

Rubenk

Have you physically looked under the truck at all? Visibly check the drivetrain and report back any mangled pieces.

If nothing can be spotted then I would suspect an internal t-case failure.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My initial thought was a busted U-joint on the long rear driveshaft. That would render the parking brake inop and also stop power transfer to the rear axles. If the transfer case or transmission were busted, locking in the front axle would not do any noticeable good.

If you have the front axle locked in and apply the parking brake, the brake should hold the truck.

rustyg

Thanks for the input, everything looks normal from a visual check.
I'll be able to tinker on it tomorrow, I just seen an estimate of 500 pounds
for shipping on an t-case, does that sound right?

Thanks Again Guys!

eta... I should ofnlet you guys know it has been bobbed, so no single axle outback.

Last edited:

Motorcar

Parking brake applied, still rolls...agree with the others it's not the transfer case. Pinion gear/shaft sheared off inside the diff. Remember, no good deed goes unpunished.