• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Troubling Glow Plug problems

notin_but_steel

I know you have heard it before but I am having an issue with my 86 m1009. Last week I had to change all 8 of my glow plugs. I believe that the cause of it was a faulty resistors which have now been bypassed.

So...I changed out the plugs and it was running great for 2 days. after driving it a good portion of the afternoon I got in it tonight and tried to start it. However as soon as the key hit the "run" position I was getting an awful rapid chattering sound coming from either the gp relay, starter relay, or gp controller. cant seem to pinpoint it?
Any ideas?

Gripy

chattering when you turn the key to start the engine would be the starter relay. But If you're turning to just activate GP's then its most likely the gp relay (st-85 at napa)

notin_but_steel

Now I've run into more fun. So I began the glow plug system diagnosis yet again. my relay is showing to be good. I had disconnected the glow plugs so I don't fry them out, and this morning I went out and turned the key to run but not start it and had nothing on the voltmeter didn't even move. so I waited for a few more seconds and click, the gp relay cycles then a second later the voltmeter came on. (not like the way its suppose too). Then I try to crank it and all I get is click click click from the starter relay. I checked both batteries. Both at 12 volt. but heres the weird part, I tried my lights and they are really dim, Battery is putting out all 12v though. I even hit the starter a few times. I never had a weak start from the starter since I got the truck so im not leaning so much towards a bad one unless it 'just ' decided to quit. However, that doesn't explain why I had all that chirping noise in the run position last night.
Oh and now my wait/water in fuel light are out. any input would be HUGELY appreciative.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Start checking every battery connection. Pay close attention to the grounds. Double check the grounds on the engine. One going from the 24v terminal block to the intake, one from the cab to the engine (braided wire passenger side)

Have you cleaned every fuse in the fusebox?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Load test your batteries.