• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Truck Down-Fuel Pump Dead

Rebelpride

RE: Re: RE: MAYDAY Truck Down

Recovery-that thought occurred to me last night. Without pulling the throttle cable out it will idle around 600. And I cant start off in 2nd.

Bjorn-changed the fuel filters last night. And when I opened the bleeder valves it pee'd a stream. Also when I changed the primary last night the filter looked like hard white styrofoam, never seem a filter like it before.

sermis

Make sure there is enough fuel in the tank. When mine gets to about 3" left in the tank it will not pump. Might also check the rubber hose on the pump inside the tank.
I needed a pump a few months back for another truck and droped $100 for a used take out and then found several NOS pumps if you need one.

Rebelpride

I have removed my in-tank fuel pump, and removed the bottom part that contains the impeller, how do I get that part open, I think that it is full of rust and I need to clean it out.

Also I tested the motor today and it ran for maybe 5 seconds then died and wouldnt start again, I jiggled wires and checked the fuse and nothing.

derby

I agree with the fuel problem, One of my trucks was out of fuel just below 1/4 tank. check all your fuel lines and filter cans,even the lines to the flame heater.also check fuel pressure at filters.

SasquatchSanta

RECOVERY4X4 Wrote:

The joy of a multifulel is that you can strip every wire off the truck, bump start it and drive it home.
Yes, this is true. However, if you've got an air leak anywhere in the system they can be extremely hard to start.

I have an air leak that I haven't been able to locate. Instead of cranking for 30 seconds in the morning I press the tequila sunrise (ether button). Once started in the morning the engine will start immediately for the rest of the day. Let it sit overnight and the problem re-surfaces.

MUDLORD Wrote:

my intank pump was completely dead for about 3 years and my truck always started and ran. just put in a take out like a year ago and havent noticed any difference in performance or speed
You're fortunate in that you've obviously got a "tight" fuel system with no air leaks.

I read in the TM that covers the IP that a tank pressure (of I believe 5 to 7 PSI) is required for the engine to develop maximum torque. I think the way most of us use our trucks that once started, the in-tank pump makes little difference.

Having said this, I have concerns that when burning higher viscous WMO that running without an in-tank pump could put un-due stress on the IP boost pump and slow the flow of required cooling recurculate.

dmetalmiki

Seems some folks are LUCKY! and (some are not) as to wether the engine starts/runs WITHOUT the in tank pumprunning!...out of my 5 trucks ONLY ONE will start/run with failed in tank pump.

Hammer

I have one that runs pretty good without the fuel pump running.
It DOES start faster when it runs though.
Started blowing fuses, and now it blows them immediately.
SO, either I have a short, or the pump is bad.
Afraid to change the filters until I have a new pump on hand though. Don't want to get any air in the system and have it not start after that.