• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Truck keeps losing it's prime

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know in this case it is easier to pull the bed since it has been off lately, but
normally wouldn't it be easier to just drop the fuel tank? Or am I missing something here?

cucvrus

Can we get a title fix?
Title fixed. The Gentlemen Corvette9 has been loosing prime on his fuel injection system of a 1986 CUCV M1028 A1. I sold him the truck 2 years ago and he completely restored it. He has since had an issue with the CUCV M1028A1 dropping the fuel prime when parked. Several other people and myself included have been trying to resolve the issue and get it up and trouble free again like it was for the 18 years that I owned it. Mean while he has been engaged in doing different things in an attempt to resolve the lost prime issue. Since we have basically hashed away at all issues thus far. We are to the point that the sending unit in the fuel tank may be the culprit. Thus I advised the easy thing for him to do would be to remove the bed to gain access to the fuel tank sending unit. And yes you could remove the fuel tank with out removing the bed. Not sure how easy that would be. i always remove the bed when working on changing a fuel tank or working around the fuel tank sending unit. That is the easiest thing for me. Works for me for 30 years. After all this explaining. (I really do not like explaining why and how I help another person.) What would you suggest we change the title to?
1.) I can't find my leak?
2.) How do I remove the fuel tank?
3.) Must I remove the cargo bed to access the fuel tank?
4.) Must I ask permission and get clearance to post here?
5.) Classified Ad: Used Truck For Sale looses prime. Can't fix it the TM does NOT cover everything.

OK any who. NO you do NOT have to remove the bed. It is easier since you just had it off. And I know you have the equipment to do so. I have seen your shop and equipment. It is an M1028A1 and it had the 4 D rings/tie downs. Excellent and easy to use as lifting points. Please report back. And if the title of YOUR thread that you started gets changed. I will look for it. I want to help get DUDE back on the road. The end issue is your truck is loosing prime. We will work on it. Thank you.

cucvrus

Or maybe...

6.) Why you should do a spin-on fuel filter first.
I am still not convinced that is the ultimate answer and 100% problem solver. I have the same trucks for over 20 years and they work fine with everything the same but the seats and the paint. Everything else is just fixed and replace with the same LKQ parts. IMHO. They spent $$$$ designing it. I save $$$$ maintaining the original design. To each his own. i am happy that you are happy with the spin on. I am happy for myself that mine are all running with the original. Nothing wrong either way. it is just not the fix all is my point.

Ilikemtb999

Title fixed. The Gentlemen Corvette9 has been loosing prime on his fuel injection system of a 1986 CUCV M1028 A1. I sold him the truck 2 years ago and he completely restored it. He has since had an issue with the CUCV M1028A1 dropping the fuel prime when parked. Several other people and myself included have been trying to resolve the issue and get it up and trouble free again like it was for the 18 years that I owned it. Mean while he has been engaged in doing different things in an attempt to resolve the lost prime issue. Since we have basically hashed away at all issues thus far. We are to the point that the sending unit in the fuel tank may be the culprit. Thus I advised the easy thing for him to do would be to remove the bed to gain access to the fuel tank sending unit. And yes you could remove the fuel tank with out removing the bed. Not sure how easy that would be. i always remove the bed when working on changing a fuel tank or working around the fuel tank sending unit. That is the easiest thing for me. Works for me for 30 years. After all this explaining. (I really do not like explaining why and how I help another person.) What would you suggest we change the title to?
1.) I can't find my leak?
2.) How do I remove the fuel tank?
3.) Must I remove the cargo bed to access the fuel tank?
4.) Must I ask permission and get clearance to post here?
5.) Classified Ad: Used Truck For Sale looses prime. Can't fix it the TM does NOT cover everything.

OK any who. NO you do NOT have to remove the bed. It is easier since you just had it off. And I know you have the equipment to do so. I have seen your shop and equipment. It is an M1028A1 and it had the 4 D rings/tie downs. Excellent and easy to use as lifting points. Please report back. And if the title of YOUR thread that you started gets changed. I will look for it. I want to help get DUDE back on the road. The end issue is your truck is loosing prime. We will work on it. Thank you.
It should be "losing" not "loosing". It would be helpful for people searching for similar issues.

cucvrus

Thank you for the "Grammar Police" I see you have followers for correcting my spelling. I thank you also. That is assuming people searching are so academically correct as the 3 Amigo's.

Now do you have any helpful advise to help the "loosing" prime issue? Or do you just want to troll around and stalk the thread for correct spelling and punctuation? Maybe I should look up each word in the dictionary.

I will go back and correct my spelling. I don't want anyone to not be able to find this thread. I didn't look hard enough.

Last edited:

Ilikemtb999

Thank you for the "Grammar Police" I see you have followers for correcting my spelling. I thank you also. That is assuming people searching are so academically correct as the 3 Amigo's.

Now do you have any helpful advise to help the "loosing" prime issue? Or do you just want to troll around and stalk the thread for correct spelling and punctuation? Maybe I should look up each word in the dictionary.

I will go back and correct my spelling. I don't want anyone to not be able to find this thread. I didn't look hard enough.
I was hoping a Mod would fix the title thread spelling error. You decided to respond to me with a very long winded reply for some reason even though my post had nothing to do with you. No I do not have a solution as I've never had this problem on my own cucv. I do however read most threads as some day I may end up having one of these issues. Thanks for getting so worked up for no reason.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hmm, wonder if this is the cause of my problems with prime. I will have to check it out.

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We're having the same issue now on our M1010, but fuel pressure is low so trying a new pump first! We'll get the bugs out sooner or later!

rodent

I'm also having the same problem. Left it parked for 2 days and refuses to start. Have to prime the system. Its also hard to start after 12 hours. This morning nothing worked until I replaced the fuel filter with a new one. Not sure the age or mileage on the old one and been meaning to replace it anyway. Have electric lift pump so its easy to prime but still a PITA when I leave for work. When I took it off, it looked like someone had some clear RTV on that hole with the sensor there. I may take that out and try to plug the hole with NPT plug.

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't take many pictures. Heres one in my driveway.

View attachment 684619
What was your final result. It's your tread but as you can see by the last few post there are several of us with the same issue, Did you find the fix?

Our 1010 has a new tank, new hoses and clamps most everywhere, a new filter, new pressure switch and lastly a new fuel pump. We tried the crack the cap, going to try the downhill thingy tonight!

And NO I DO NOT WANT To put spin on filters or electric pumps. Like some have said, I have 2 other cucv types that have no issues, and I want it as prototype as it can be. They worked for me in the Army, they should work for us as a Hobby!

corvette9

After I put the check valve in the truck started rite up since. Rite now the truck is in my barn for the winter. been there since Nov. Another month or so I'll fire it up after the long sleep. Then we will see for sure. And yes the truck is all stock as it came from GM..

Last edited:

cucvrus

That's right because that's they way they belong. :). I know a guy that has trucks like that. They all work better that way IMHO. I mean 22 years and counting of private ownership. Driving them 70 MPH loaded and empty and still going. Have a great day. Glad to hear DUDE is still to your liking. And Gralmk I hope all the M1010 stuff worked out for you. I still have a lot more here.

stonewalljac

Another source of problems is the fuel cap. The valve in the fuel cap on my M1009 was clogged and not functioning. I noticed when I stopped to fuel it up one day that when I opened the cap, It had a lot of vacuum on it. I know GM designed it to have a small amount to reduce foaming in the tank. But this was a bunch. I cleaned out the valve and freed it up and had no more issues.IF you get a lot of vacuum in the tank and when you shut down and park. if you have a weak connection somewhere it will make a bubble in the fuel line. Just something else to check. lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks