• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Truck keeps losing it's prime

Hasdrubal

I had the fuel cap issue also, with excessive vacuum. If I cracked the cap when I stopped it would fire up in the morning. If I left it, it lost prime. One of the reasons I ended up on this forum back in 2006, trying to find answers to puzzling issues like this. At the time didn't consider trying to clean the valve, don't remember anyone recommending this. Got tired of bleeding the injectors, whenever I forgot to crack the cap. So..field expedient modification. Ended up drilling a tiny hole in fuel cap, then sourced a new fuel filter base which had a tiny weep of fuel on the back.

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just finished trying our down hill test, It sat on car ramps since last night. Nope, I could have cranked it till the batteries died????

Next I guess Sat we'; try swapping the filter base with a known good one and cross our fingers!

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Losing Prime fixed

Well, problem fixed, before I got to the Filter Block. We were going over everything and realized fuel was OK, we had pressure everywhere. so we went back to the electronics. Sure enough we were digging around and saw the meter jump when we were grabbing wires. Turns out the LH bank of glow plugs due to the splice at the end of the orange wire were it meets the green wires at the glow plugs was lose or something. If we touched it, it would loose power, So we fixed the connection and it fired right up.
It also seems the glow plug card slot gives a false reading cause it reads both sides at the same time. So we must not have been catching the issue, that one side was not working!

So bottom line, first fuel issues! Idiots that changed the tank before I bought it put new hoses and never used any clamps, then the Relays were burnt, then the fuel pump was weak then there was a hole worn threw a fuel line and Finally the Glow Plug wire circuit had an issue!

Guess ya have to check and recheck! Starts now no issues! On to the next issue! Rear heater then AC! But at least it starts the way it should and no hacks!

Last edited:

corvette9

Ok. I said I would report back to let you guys know if my truck lost prime after sitting in my barn since thanksgiving. No it did not !!!!! I went in the barn today I let it glow one cycle turned the key and it fired right up. I let it run for about 20. min. and then shut it down. So my check valve in the feed line works perfect. $17.00 fix to a problem that drove me nuts. Did it fix the root cause ? NO. But it works, it's easy and I did not change anything from stock. I'm happy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks