• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Truck making funny noise, Transmission?

Brock Steel

Hi,

Took a trip to pick pick up a trailer when I noticed a funny sound when I was shifting from 3 to 4th gears buy the time i got home it was in 5th too.

The trans has always been stiff when shifting but the racket was very noticeable and only got worse. I made it home and found the transfer case leaking oil. As i pulled the filler plug there was a lot of pressure released and the case temp was 155 deg. Any Ideas on were to start?

I'm thinking R&R both trans and transfer case. Is it cheaper to get rebuilt ones or the have the ones it it done? Anyone know a good transmission shop in Palmdale Landcaster area?

Were is a good place to get the trans and transfer case if it's cheeper in So Ca? Thanks Brock.

P.S. Anyone in LA, Palmdale work on them? Need some cash? looking for someone to repair it..

Last edited:

Blood_of_Tyrants

Does the truck have a PTO winch? The hard shifting could caused by not enough gear lash between the PTO and tranny. Get some extra gaskets or cut one from gasket material and shim it a bit.

As for the transfer case, it sounds as though you have a bearing going bad.

tm america

mine was doing that from the time i got it.it got really bad last week .i got under it only to find a gap between the trans and bellhousing the bolt had worked loose.i tightened them down now trans is nice and smooth no noises and no vibrations

Scrounger

Where to start? First off there shouldn’t have been a “lot of pressure” when removing the filler plug. The vent(s) is probably clogged and should be cleaned. A temperature of 155 degrees is normal. If you have a PTO check for lash as already posted.
I would start be changing the fluid in the transmission and transfer case. As the fluid is draining also check to see if there is any metal in it. I would also flush them while I was at it. After draining the fluids reinstall the drain plugs then fill the transmission and transfer case with plain old ATF. Start the truck and leaving the transmission in neutral allow it to idle for 20 minutes, place absolutely no load on the transmission. Then place the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in first gear. Allow the truck to idle 15 minutes. Then drain the ATF, don’t be surprised by how dirty the ATF will look. Then fill with the proper lubes. Then check for any loose bolts, make sure the clutch is adjusted correctly then take it for a drive. If that doesn’t solve the problem the synchronizers may be going bad and you will have to rebuild or replace the transmission.

Brock Steel

Thanks No pto. Were is the vent located on the transfer case? I check the bell housing bolts and found no really loose ones. I will drain both units and flush. Fingers crossed...

P.S. how do you ajust the clutch? Thanks Brock. :-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks