• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Truck Pulling to Right

searls84

My pull-to-the-right story:
My friend recovered my M35A3 from Ft McCoy and reported a slight pull to right. When I picked up the truck from him, I did and alignment following TM string method. It did need adjustment to get it in spec. Also lifted front end and checked for wheel play and brake drag - nothing.
Drove it home to Oregon and the right pull got worse. In Wyoming parking lot, I again did TM string alignment. Checked out ok. Stopped at Idaho Motor Pool and Alex suggested checking wheel bearings. Repacked bearing. No fix.
At home, I took it to an alignment shop that specialized in aligning built hot rods. One tech was an Army mechanic. Everything was OK - EXCEPT toe was out of standard. Corrected. Drove home with pull to right. Started considering swaping axles and then decided to swap front tire/wheels. Done and AMAZING had pull to left. Replaced tires with new on front. Now have over 10,000 miles on the tires, NO pull, NO unusual wear.
Conclusion: Toe our of spec toe caused wear on tires that corrected alignment could not correct. Correct toe and new tires solved problem......
This is called "radial pull" I have had it happen twice on civi trucks right after I had new tires put in AND an alignment. Not real sure why it happens but both times the offending tire was replaced with another new one by the company I purchased the set from.