• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Truck pulls left after left turns...odd

Nacademus

Hello!

I have a strange issue with my truck that I developed probably within the past month or so.

Whenever I take my truck through a left turn, it seems to try and fight me a little bit to go straight again. I don't quite notice it with right turns.

I got underneath it last weekend and saw that my driver's side tie rod had a bit of play. So, I replaced them both.
1013863_10103147536428685_1914457451_n.jpg

Took it for a ride after I replaced them, and it made no difference. I have a 200 miles trip coming up this weekend and am trying to bust this out in between my long work hours to get ready for camping. Its really coming down to the wire for me.

After that trip I took to check out the tie rod, I noticed that my left front wheel, somewhat where the hub meets the rim, was warm-not HOT, but just warm. The other side was stone cold.

Tonight, hope to track down a spindle socket and repack/replace the bearings. I hope to everything holy that THAT is all I need to do. This is driving me crazy.

I think the symptom is that of a sticking caliper, but it pulls in an S curve after I had been rolling straight and narrow for a while prior with no brake applied. Rolling out of the curve, even if its a gentle one, I experience the pull.

Its not VIOLENT or anything, just a nuisance. If I wasn't prepared for it, the way that it wants to continue a turn would be dangerous to someone who is unsuspecting. Its almost like its over-steering but doesn't do it all the time. Sheesh this is tough.

Have any of you found a bearing to be the culprit while experiencing these symptoms?

Do you think I could get away with just repacking the bearings, re-torquing them, and replacing the seals? I guess I would need to see them to be sure, but if they aren't burnt or sloppy, what do you think?

My pitman arm doesn't seem to have excessive play or anything and from what I could tell and was told while moving the wheel, my gearbox seems OK too.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Tonight, I am getting off work at 8 PM and HOPING that I can repack these bearings with enough time to get descent sleep for work in the morning.

Could I get away without replacing the races if I do change the bearings-so long as they aren't burn, of course?

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Assuming it is a M1008.

Other members have found bad wheel bearings will cause simular symptoms.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
He said ball joint, it must be an M1009 or Dodge.

Drew BoB

X2 on the axle u-joint. My truck did the exact same thing (m1008)so I sprayed a tiny bit of penetrating oil on the u-joint being careful not to get any on the brake rotors or anything, then took it for a drive. I could instantly tell it was better so I knew I found the faulty part. Then I fixed it properly with spicer u-joints.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nacademus

OK! Thank you for all your suggestions! I did the driver's side bearing last night. The inner was almost all black so I will just assume it was running hot and probably needed some attention anyways.
I took it for a drive afterward and it still had that feeling, but much less severe. I never even thought about the ujoints being a concern. I will definitely spray them and see if that even helps a little bit-I will probably replace them once I get some time.

I plan to do the passenger side bearings tonight. Hoping and praying that the issue goes away. If not, blah, they needed maintenance anyways. At least the fear of burning a bearing on a 200 mile trip will be behind me. I never once thought about those ujoints being responsible. Thanks so much for the help.

Hasdrubal

You should be able to check the u-joints by hand. Jacked up and hubs unlocked, try turning them, the binding will be readily apparent. The originals are sealed, non-greasable.

Nacademus

These are probably originals. So, jack the truck up, put it on jack stands, lock the hubs, and turn the tires around? Should I spin the front tires while turning the wheel side to side?? Is that right? Turning them with the tires straight may not feel much, no?

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is the classic bad U-joint symptom , but you need to check the WHOLE front axle .