• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

truck revs on its own

v8jeeptj

The throttle is sticking on my truck. When I drive down the road and left of the gas it seems like I am on cruise control. I can put my foot around the back of the pedal and pull it up but it stills stays ideled up. If I leave my foot off the gas it will eventually come back down. When i hit the brake the idel will also come down

The other day when I had it in park I pumped the gas and it got stuck again the spring on the linkage seemed to have pull the throttle back as normal. I had to crimp the fuel line from the filter inorder to get the idel to come back down. Once I did this it ran as normal.

Any sugestions on what to do?

OL AG '89

DITTO !!! X10.....
Last thing you want to do is deal with a runaway diesel while trying to STOP!!!!

Try the TM troubleshooting sections....
Unhook the throttle cable from the IP and rev by hand, have some one in truck to shutdown if it begins to runaway, or be prepared to pull the wire off the IP to kill engine... The "PINK" wire I believe..

If the IP seems to operate normally, check the throttle cable and see if it's binding up or just needs to be lubed...

chevymike

Okay, this brings up a good question. Should the RPM's "snap" back to idle when you let off the pedal or should it "progress" back to idle (like a slow motion back to idle)?

Being from the gas engine world, I am used to them kind of snapping back fairly quickly. My last diesel was 20 years ago and I can't recall how it acted.

Shop Rat Fab

Sounds like the same thing that happened to me. The throttle cable was coming apart inside the casing till it finally broke. Remove the throttle cable from the injection pump and work the pump if okay check the cable operation with it disconnected.

kassim503

Check for air in the line, mine revs up by itself , and the throttle takes a long time to idle back down when there is air contamination

Mabye keep a c02 fire extinguisher handy in case it runs away on you. Quick squirt into the intake shuts them down safely. And you'd have a little something to put on the decon bottle pad