• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

truck sources

hcaz095

I read online that the gov't is no longer auctioning/selling the old HMV's.... is this true? Where are sources for project trucks as I dont see the $35,000 some people want on ebay for one. Idealy i would just want the truck cab soft top version. Thanks for your input/help.

~Zach

stampy

I believe the only true hmv's that were released were to a civilian contactor for payment of some debt, Since then they destroy them as they are deemed "unsafe" for civilian roads and don't pass safety standards. The ones above may be part of that gov contractors lot... Or I might be mistaken.

jwaller

ebay is the best place to find them quickly. then you can go to g503.com then many many other places. they arent cheap and a parts truck/build one from parts is way more money in the end.

gunchief113

Re: HMMWV search

There are lots of trucks out there for less than $35K, especially if you like the "some assembly required" version. The primary thing you must keep in mind is that the acronym HMMWV stands for "High Maintenance Money Wasting Vehicle." Not mine, saw it on G503, but its true enough.

There is a guy in Reno area that has several "fixer-uppers" for $7-11K. Understand, this means they consist of a tub, hood and frame(rails, crossmembers, control arms/springs. This is where they start, then you pay more for geared hubs, axles, differentials, brake parts, wheels/tires, etc. But there is light at the end of the tunnel. Look on ebay, check the boards-there are many to be had that run and drive for around $20K...and they have titles. There are tons of guys you can turn to for parts and advice. Gene 775-359-2760

As for Schott's, they have a bunch of scrap bodies & frames that was priced at $10K last I talked to Paul. There are about 8 A Pillars, 4 or 5 bodies that would make perhaps 2, and frames that have various parts on them. The big issue there is that they are in Lewiston, ME. Which means they are under 10 feet of snow just now, but I do have pics of the stuff from last sspring break when I went there. Paul also has a couple complete trucks that have sat since the auction-kept in side mind you, but they are $30K for soft-top. If you call, talk to Paul Castongay-he handles HMMWV issues.

You can also talk to Blair Outlan in Memphis, TN. He does both HMMWV and H1. His website is www.usedH1.com. Right now he has one that is set up for 2-seater that has had the suspension/steering/brakes/geared hubs/halfshafts/seals/fluids redone. 901-378-8877

Happy hunting!
-Brian 901-356-1234

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The title can be a huge issue.. If the truck your buying (complete or parts) doesnt have one, you really need to do some serious research at the "how to get a title" proceedure at your states DMV PRIOR to purchaes.. Or else you may have a Untitlable/un registerable truck on your hands...

Some states it's not too hard, but in others, without a SF-97 or existing title, it wont happen. NY is one of those "wont happen" states, especially for vehicles built after the mid 1970's. All HMMWV's were built after 1984, so make sure it meets that cut off, if there is one in your state.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks