• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

truck very hard start

gottorque

Past 3 days truck cranks for like 25 seconds before it will start when cold or hot and truck is in heated warehouse also twice now when hood was up and truck was cranking saw fuel spraying in air appeared to be coming around #3 and 4 injectors or return lines but cant find leak and I can try to start again and it doesnt leak also if it runs it doesnt leak. any ideas

stumps

Do not use your fingers or hands to try and find that leak!

The high pressures involved will inject the diesel into your skin in a flash.

Clamp a small square of paper in a hemostat, or something that will keep your hands back, and probe it around the area you think the spray is coming from... it should come up wet, and possibly with a hole in it when you find the leak.

You quite probably have a stress fracture in one of the injector lines.

-Chuck

stumps

...when hood was up and truck was cranking saw fuel spraying in air appeared to be coming around #3 and 4 injectors or return lines but cant find leak
An engine that is very slightly hydrolocked, can sometimes blow a liquid spray past the head gasket when the piston hits the liquid. It will also make a heck of a thump, and usually won't start.

-Chuck

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can use spray on foot powder to find the leak. Spray it around the area you suspect the leak is coming from, let it dry and give the engine a crank. There will be a wet spot at the leak. DON'T use body parts to find fuel leaks!
High pressure liquids are sharper than farts, they will go right through clothing and skin without leaving any holes. :shock:

PUNCTUATION man, that was a tad hard on the eyes ;-)

gottorque

I am actually a diesel/generator mechanic but this engine fuel system is a lot different then my stuff. I started at the basics and replaced every poly/soft line on the truck and new fittings last night then drove home I will start in a little bit and see if it leaks or is hard start. Anybody have a diagram on the motor or fuel system layout and components I am not sure about how some of the componets factor in. Also where is the fuse for the pump I didnt check that.

dittle

Fuse for the fuel pump is under the small cover on top of the fuel tank. 3 screws hold the cap on. Follow the wires on top of the fuel tank and you'll find the cap I'm talking about. If you have a leak up top you're getting air in the system and thats why its starting hard.

stumps

I am actually a diesel/generator mechanic but this engine fuel system is a lot different then my stuff. I started at the basics and replaced every poly/soft line on the truck and new fittings last night then drove home I will start in a little bit and see if it leaks or is hard start. Anybody have a diagram on the motor or fuel system layout and components I am not sure about how some of the componets factor in. Also where is the fuse for the pump I didnt check that.
The plastic lines are the fuel return lines, and are low pressure. Any leak in them will just drool. The steel lines that go between the injector pump and the injectors are very high pressure. When they leak, you will get a fine spray. Usual place for them to leak is at the fitting nut. The steel line can break there as well.

There really is no significant difference between the MF injection system and any other direct injection pump system. The differences are in details that are not readily visible... such as: the fuel density compensator, injectors that don't atomize fuel, but rather squirt, the deep combustion chamber built into the piston top, and the 22.5:1 compression ratio.

The fuse for the tank fuel pump is under a small box that is on top of the fuel pump. It is the box where the wires go to on the tank.

-Chuck

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of the TM's has a diagram of the fuel system...forget which one it is though, WAY too many pages in all of them! The TM's are here for free, you can download them and browse them at your leasure.

Top of the pages under resources,
Steel Soldiers :: Military Vehicles Supersite

I'll go do some browsing to see which one it is, be back shortly!

gottorque

Well I think replacing the return lines did the trick I started this morning cold with no heater took about 15 seconds then fired and stalled then started right up drove all over the place and shut down truck 8 to 10 times letting sit for anywhere from a minute to 1 hr and everytime she fired up with in 3 seconds thanks for the help. Yeah that compensator and all is new to me