• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trucks Needed: High Point State Park, NJ May 31st, 2 p.m. "Salute to Veterans"

SteveKuhn

Trucks Needed: High Point State Park, NJ May 31st, 2 p.m. "Salute to Veterans"

Each year, on the traditional Memorial Day weekend, the Sussex Elks sponsors a "Salute to Veterans" at the foot of the monument at High Point State Park, the highest point in NJ. From there you can see 3 states: NJ, NY & PA. If you're in that 3 corner area, perhaps you'll consider taking part. I became involved last year since one of the principals of the North Base Sub Vets is also a principal in the Elks. It's a really nice, serious, solemn ceremony and last year the weather was great. Speakers keep it short. It's well attended (in some cases from quite a distance).

Here's a link with pictures of last year’s ceremony
http://njherald.mycapture.com/mycapture/folder.asp?event=1808641&CategoryID=4460&view=1

A couple of us talked afterward and noted that the MVs were missing and would have been a really good addition, so this year we're doing it. We are in the program (copy below). High Point arrival will probably be 12:30 - 1 p.m. to allow maneuvering and placement. You can attend a full dinner that follows at 4 p.m. at the Sussex Elks Lodge - Free to all active service members, $10 for all other guests.

Here's what's in mind (weather permitting)

• MVs on display, perhaps some at the top to the right of the monument facing center.
  • If we have enough, perhaps some at the (sorta) wider spots on the road leading up to the parking lot. It’s pretty narrow.
  • 1 or 2 at the parking lot.
  • My personal favorite - Mules or jeeps to replace the state-provided golf carts that ferry those who can’t walk from the parking area up to the monument. The hill is steep.

If you can make the event and/or help with any of the following, please let me know as soon as possible.
  • Any or all of the above
  • Truck about 125 chairs from Sussex Fire Dept to High Point, then return them after the show. I might not be able to have the Deuce with me since I need to bring the Ling’s trailer. It’s too small to be a chair hauler.
  • Be generally helpful at the event.

We’d like to have as many come as are able. Again, arrival time ~1 p.m. Please let me know if you're planning on taking part as soon as possible. Post here or email is preferred over PMs.

Thanks.

Steve Kuhn

Attachments

SteveKuhn

Update: MVs are cancelled. For the times of the ceremony, forecasts are around 85% for thunderstorms, so it’s very likely that the program will be moved indoors to the Elks.

For anyone interested in attending anyway, here is a recent bulletin:

http://advertisernewsnorth.com/article/20150526/NEWS01/150529943/Sussex-Elks-to-salute-veterans

Sussex Elks to salute veterans
Published May 26, 2015 at 3:26 pm (Updated May 26, 2015)
SUSSEX BOROUGH — Sussex Elks Lodge 2288 will hold its Third Annual Salute to Veterans Ceremony at 2 p.m. Sunday, May 31, at High Point Monument to honor the soldiers that gave their lives for our country and to recognize the service and sacrifices of those who were fortunate enough to come home.
A complimentary roast beef and chicken dinner will be served to all veterans at 4 p.m. at the lodge. All non-veteran dinners will be at a cost of $10.
In the event of inclement weather, the ceremony will be held at the lodge at 2 p.m. with dinner immediately following.
Contact Patty the day of the event should there be any questions. Reservations are not required but suggested. Any questions contact us through the lodge email sussexelks2288@gmail.com or Patty at 201-400-6104.

People who contacted me w/ phones either have received a phone call already or will receive one shortly.

Thanks to all who responded. We’ll try again next year.

Steve

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks