• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trucks out of Indianapolis......

Hooper

I have seen a lot of trucks have badges that show they been refurbished at some point. The 923 i got out of Sparta was refurbished by Red River. The weird thing I have noticed about the trucks out of Indianapolis is many of them look refurbished with like new paint but it is not noted like others. I just bought a 923 out of Indy, the paint is perfect, it has 30k on it but only 265 hours. Would i be safe to assume it was refurbished at some point?

http://bcove.me/69pj8k3i

m923a.jpgm923b.jpg

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I doubt it has been driven at 113 MPH ever(let alone constantly for 30000 miles), so it it obvious the speedo or tach or both are not original.

That is safe to assume.

Scarecrow1

There is a major difference between maintenance and a rebuild. Most of the tags are put on when a truck has been gone through and made as close to new as it can be , this is a rebuild. Paint and tires and routine fluid changes don't rate a tag. Upgrades do how ever and this is how you have the a1 and a2 and a3's added to the original number. The fact that you have gages that don't match just means they swapped them out when they break from other trucks on the yard. One of my friends was in Germany in the motor pool and every 6 months they would pull every truck on the yard in for a fresh coat of paint even if it didn't need it. Nice truck I hope it serves you well.........

Hooper

There is a major difference between maintenance and a rebuild. Most of the tags are put on when a truck has been gone through and made as close to new as it can be , this is a rebuild. Paint and tires and routine fluid changes don't rate a tag. Upgrades do how ever and this is how you have the a1 and a2 and a3's added to the original number. The fact that you have gages that don't match just means they swapped them out when they break from other trucks on the yard. One of my friends was in Germany in the motor pool and every 6 months they would pull every truck on the yard in for a fresh coat of paint even if it didn't need it. Nice truck I hope it serves you well.........

I was just hoping that there was some protocol like say if they replaced the engine they would reset the hour meter or put a new trans in it amd reset the odometer. I hope shes a good one too. Thanks for the post.

commandojeff

I bought my 923A1 out of Jeff City MO and it didn't say anything about being rebuilt on the GL page. I figured it was though because the engine was tan instead of the original black. When I got the truck I was pleased to see 2010 rebuild tags all over it. Mine had 22,000 miles on it with only 46 hours. The hour gauge looked brand new and the odometer looked to be original and much older. My guess is the amount of miles on my gauge is the correct amount for the entire life of the truck, including before and after rebuild. I'm thinking they replaced the hour gauge in my case. Even moving at 55 mph for 46 hours would only get you 2,530 miles...

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought my 923A1 out of Jeff City MO and it didn't say anything about being rebuilt on the GL page. I figured it was though because the engine was tan instead of the original black. When I got the truck I was pleased to see 2010 rebuild tags all over it. Mine had 22,000 miles on it with only 46 hours. The hour gauge looked brand new and the odometer looked to be original and much older. My guess is the amount of miles on my gauge is the correct amount for the entire life of the truck, including before and after rebuild. I'm thinking they replaced the hour gauge in my case. Even moving at 55 mph for 46 hours would only get you 2,530 miles...
The date on the engine tag will tell you if it was replaced .

commandojeff

The date on the engine tag will tell you if it was replaced .
Right, that was 2010. I found the tag when I had the truck in front of me after picking it up. But my point was that I couldn't see that with the GL pics, nor did they have a great description on GL about if it was rebuilt or not. I have noticed that most of the listings today are slightly more detailed in this regard. I read that the tan engines were rebuilds, so that gave me an idea of the rest of the truck being rebuilt also. I'm not saying all rebuilt engines are tan, but in my case, it gave me an idea of what to expect.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you say tan, do you mean desert sand tan carc?

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is Cummins standard engine paint color. With that color, it is more likely it was a new or rebuilt engine direct from Cummins, not a gov rebuild.

DH, it could have the ultra rare Allison 30spd or the flux capacitor MWO.

commandojeff

Thanks for the info Ferro. I will have to look at the tag closer. I can't remember if it was a rebuild tag or not. The trucks I have seen from RRAD have black engines. Who knows...

Sorry for the thread jack :grin:. I guess my point didn't really prove much anyway haha.

Hooper

Wel I just got back from Indy, 14 hours of driving and I wiped out. As for the hour meter versus the engine data plate, well, I was not so lucky. The engine is dated the same year as the truck so its original. Besides a giant hole in the muffler filling the cab with exhaust the whole time the truck ran great, so no complaints.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They probably just replaced the tach (or possibly the speedo) at some point and that could explain why they don't match.

ranchhopper

Most times they replace the hour meter with the engine and use the old speedometer the rebuild tag on the dash has the mileage stamped in it when it was rebuilt for instance my odometer read 22.000 miles and the tag on the dash was stamped rebuilt RRAD 2003 mileage at rebuild 18,500 so it had 3500 miles since the red river rebuild.

Hooper

They probably just replaced the tach (or possibly the speedo) at some point and that could explain why they don't match.

That's what it looks like. The nice thing is they left a giant file full of all the maintenance records. Even at 31,oo miles the engine oil was very clean.

Hooper

Most times they replace the hour meter with the engine and use the old speedometer the rebuild tag on the dash has the mileage stamped in it when it was rebuilt for instance my odometer read 22.000 miles and the tag on the dash was stamped rebuilt RRAD 2003 mileage at rebuild 18,500 so it had 3500 miles since the red river rebuild.

My A1 has a tag from Red River. It is a 1985 but the engine was new in 2010. The A0 is a 1983 with a 1983 engine. Unless they dropped in a rebuit engine and left the old tag Id say it is original.

iam a new owner of a M931A1 from indy and my good freind just bought 3 trucks from indy is there any way to find out what all the tags mean by the drivers door,we drove all the trucks home with out any issues,all the trucks had price tags on the front bumpers that said 74000.00 dolars or more thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks