• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

True or False

Petesos

I own the M813A1 with the 250 nhc cummins and i have been told that if i switch the engine off in the wrong sequence it will burn the alternater out or do some serious damage to the electrics ? The sequence i use just now is in clockwise order on the ignition panel.
Top switch first then bottom switch and to shut off the engine it is in reverse order I have gone through other posts but couldnt find anything relating to this .
Petesos

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's no warning in the TM or sticker on the dash that says am M816 won't float on water. Just saying....

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I just shut down the motor then the master, though have shut down the master first, then just flip off the run switch, no damage

"There's no warning in the TM or sticker on the dash that says am M816 won't float on water. Just saying...."

There's nothing in there about a m819 flying eather, does not mean it CAN NOT

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's no warning in the TM or sticker on the dash that says am M816 won't float on water. Just saying....

:funny:
Very interesting, DH. Have YOU tried that?

Pete,
Good question [thumbzup] While the lack of instruction may indicate a "no big deal" situation, it IS always good and conscientious to investigate "best practices" to preempt undesirable consequences....

Which leads us back to DogHead's "float on water" hypothesis :grd:

jaxsof

The F4 was the US's proof to the world that even a brick can fly if you put a big enough engine on it. And an M816 will float, as long as you can keep that boat under it.nopics

rofl

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I first got my M818, the master switch didn't always turn off when switched off. I started turning the master switch off first (which also shuts off the engine), so I would know if it didn't turn off. Then I turn off the engine run/start switch.

I guess I could have looked at the gauges, but turning the master off first and hearing the engine shut off, means I don't worry if I checked or not and does not hurt anything.

Truckoholic

I used to have a 1976 GMC pickup truck with 4-53T Detroit diesel and twin sticks. Anyway, the guy I got it from, warned me, to always pull the kill handle and get the engine to stop, and therefore the alternator to stop turning, BEFORE turning the ignition switch off, because he said it had been known to fry alternators if you turned the ignition switch off while the engine was still running. And of course, I ended up forgetting a few times and turning the ignition switch off first out of habbit before pulling the kill handle, and sure enough, I ended up replacing my alternator about 4 times while I had that truck. DOH!!!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0o1o5W_f6o[/media]

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A manual (-10 maybe?) actually does say something about Master switch on-Ignition on, Ignition off-Master switch off, I remember reading it and having a warning about damaging the charging system.
It was many moons ago, so I don't recall exactly where I read it, but I always do my 813 that way because of it.

Cheers

Goose2448

I am going to relate this to planes, cus thats what I know best, but they are rather similar. The Master is turned off before pulling the mixture, in this case the pull to stop handle, so as not to fry the alt and electrical. As to why we do it, I have no real answer for that. I do know if you do it wrong, your out a butt load of money. It should be all electrical, then master, then fuel.

jollyroger

TM 9-2320-260-10 indicates "Pull out emergency stop control (6) if........Engine continues to run after ignition switch (12) and battery switch (5) are turned to off position.

And there is nothing in the "warning summary" about a proper shut down procedure or burning up the Alternator if a procedure is not followed.

dont know if there is a connection or not but my XM818 was shut down using the battery switch a few times and the alt failed.
the rebuilder asked about spikes.

I make sure its never shut down that way again.

just to be safe I shut the M35 engine down first then kill the power.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just watched some driver training videos for the M939 series trucks (and no, I will never admit to doing that at work...;-)).

On start up, instruction was specifically to turn Battery switch on, then the Ignition switch.
Shut down instruction was Ignition off, then Battery off.

Yes, I know it is a different truck, but that is exactly what I rememeber for the M809 series. Apply the information as you see fit.

Cheers

Hooty481

I am new to the 5-ton but i have a M818 on the way and would like to know wich is correct... On my deuce i turn the batteries off then the engine but just because the engine kill handle is hard to get ahold of while the battery switch is on.

R Racing

My m816 floats in the air when no 1 is looking:shock: , LOL I have always turned of my ignition switch off first then the main power. and have nothing burned up or damaged to show for it. My m813 is well grounded. Must be the bigger tires. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks