• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Try not to laugh but !

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
OK go ahead and make fun of this statement but is there such a place that i could start looking for a v100 builder that i could buy that is rebuildable and what would that cost ???????
Only thing I need to suggest is that somehow before you get too excited - you need to figure out some air conditioning. Inside that tin box in the summer even with the hatches open it gets pretty dang hot in there!

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finding one is the first step. Finding parts is the second step. Then you get to start working on it. How big of a budget do you have? Honest question. Because anything armor is expensive.
Well i think just finding one not already refurbed will be the hardest part then if such a beast exist then if i can afford it and getting it home then i think i can restore it but it might have alot of non factory/homeade parts ive got access to mills and lathe and the rest will need lots of sweat and good luck !

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For a hull bare minimum, expect to spend $50K or more. And you better hope it has a transfer case in it.
Ouch is it that bad ??? i thought i might have to use things more readily available like drivetrain or motor but if its that bad for just the main body i would have to sale my truck to fund this project .

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Absolutely. And that's a deal if you can find one for that given the market. For a running driving V100, you will easily be in six figures.
Well as usual i have 24 k taste on an iron budget but ive got patience and if i dont rush things stuff always seem to come thru !!! Poverty the mother of all invention !

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing to keep in mind is that there are only around twenty V100s known to be in private hands in the US, restored and unrestored. There are probably a few lurkers hidden away in barns somewhere.

There used to be quite a few Vs in police use, but they have mostly been retired due to age and increasing difficulty with maintaining them.
Their fate has proven on at least several occasions to be unfortunate, I personally know of two that went to the smelter after the government refused to even let a museum have them. The only consolation there is that hypothetically one of them may not have had a full complement of parts when it got melted down, which means that hypothetically those parts could have ended up in at least three other V100s then being restored.

The engine is pretty easy to get parts for, many from your local auto parts store; but as mentioned above, things like transfer cases and original wheels are less common than Bigfoot. And the last transfer case I know of that was sold fetched the equivalent of a nice used Suburban.

But if you are serious about one, start following every lead and rumour you learn about. I spent five years aggressively chasing rabbits down trails until I found mine, and even then it came down to luck and fortuitous timing, as I virtually tripped over it while looking at something else. I then spent 3.5 years putting it together, and sourced parts from as far away as Saigon.
But a lot of those parts supplies have dried up over the last years, and unfortunately one of the best replicators of V parts, known on here as JimK, passed away recently.
And count on it being expensive! Military vehicles have become very spendy in the last ten years or so, in particular armoured vehicles.

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks