• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trying to find information on a CUCV like unit

KDavidFF369

*Mods, if this is the wrong location please feel free to move it*
Okay, recently I became aware of a CUCV wanna be ambulance made for the US Gov't and to some degree used by the DoD. These were on F350 4x4 Chasis made by Wheeled Coach. I know it was in the early 90's (I have seen them in '93 vintage and I believe '91). I have also seen maybe one with a Chevrolet Chasis, but was never able to confirm who the orginial owner was.

They were:
- '93 Ford F-350 Chasis (I have seen a similar wheeled coach box on a 91 F350 recently and I am looking into if it is prior .gov owned).

- All of them were 4x4

- They may have used Chevy Chasis (I think I saw one, but I never was able to confirm who was the orginial owner), but almost all of them were F-350's.

- They were definitely not CUCV's or CUCV Boxes transfered to a newer chasis. The box looked similar to a street ambulance but the rear doors were offset from center to accomodate a storage compartment that was designed to hold folded stretchers. On top of that the inside of the box was similar to a regular one but it had the capability to be field adapted for 4 stretchers (hence the storage for more).

- They were made for normal 1 or 2 patient transport, but could be field altered to hold 4 (hence the stretcher storage).

- Here is a link to an article on one that was refurbed by a Search and Rescue Explorer post Defending Against Disasters 1993 Ford F-350 - Diesel Power Magazine

Does anyone know where I can go to find more info on them? Like which branches used them? Where they assigned to field units or just garison support? Where they GSA bought like the passenger vans and sedans or were they done through a process like a HMMWV or CUCV is done? Any help or suggestions on where to go is greatly helpful.

cscmc1

That's pretty neat -- I could swear there was one in the ambulance configuration at Manas Air Base in Kyrgyzstan when I was there a couple of years ago. It sat outside the clinic the whole time I was there, and that sure looks like what I remember, but I may be wrong. In any case, cool truck!

KDavidFF369

CSC I would believe if they were an AF truck, when I was at Baghdad with the Army, we got stuck with what the Army thought a fire truck should be. The AF firefighters got real fire apparatus painted tan or green to do their jobs with.

WARWAG

seen something like that a few years back at Barstow Marine Logistics base. The front end was smashed. It was based on CUCV II platform and went for quite a bit on GL. I bowed out at I believe 4K. It sold in the 7K to 8K range. Had just a few hundred miles on it if I remember correctly. Good luck.

Last edited:

KDavidFF369

Okay two things first there was a CUCV II? I thought there was just 1 style of CUCVs? Second, I googled "Air Force Ambulance" and it returned a whole slew of F-350's (to include newer ones) that were painted white with no real markings other then a reflective strip, Star of Life and in a few cases a bumper #. So I think what I am chasing here is mostly an Air Force vehicle that is a deployable asset (I found a pic from Iraq at Camp Sather with one just sitting next to one of the crash trucks). Now if I can just find out how it's purchased and what the specs are.

Attachments

48cj2a

All the services have used commercial ambulances in this variant. I've seen them in od green and the white configuration on many bases.

Also over the last 30 or more yrs of my USAF career it pretty rare to see anything painted Air Force blue. We now see factory colors as most of the vehicles are in the GSA vehicle pool for all the services to order from. We probably have at least 2-3 dozen Chevy and Ford Crew Cabs on base right now and they are all blue but the factory color blue.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks