• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tubeless on steroids tire.

edpdx

Found the latest on these tire/wheels the military is working (collaborating) on. Look cool; but they seem like the balance will go immediately when the pick up mud?
Pics-Airless-Tires-by-Resilient-Technologies-3.jpg

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
When I was stationed at Fort Benning I used to go to the Infantry Conference every year.

All of the gooberment contractors and wanna be contractors would be there to try to sell their wares to the Army.........I saw some truely dumb chit disguised as military hardware.

DokWatson

I'd hate to hit any pot holes with those things, must make for a terribly stiff ride. How is it supposed to get traction? It barely has any surface area touching the ground. Not to mention the stupid 'honey combs'... the balance will go right out the window if anything gets stuck in there.

But hey, it won't go flat...and thats all that matters right?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
WM are you saying that's a stupid idea?
I'm saying it wouldn't be the stupidest thing the goobement ever bought.

I enter into evidence the Gamma Goat.....a vehicle designed by an idiot and built by morons.....aided and abetted by some politician whose district it was made in.

I'm not damming all technology.......but just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

I have the same issue with high speed optical sights...they are great as long as they are working....but if they go FUBAR you better know "Kentucky windage" or have on your bullet proof panties.

Ruppster

Member of questionable origins
Steel Soldiers Supporter
but they seem like the balance will go immediately when the pick up mud?

The question is does that show the finished product or is that a picture of a prototype tire that allows you to see how the inside is designed? Could the final product include a proper sidewall made of rubber that would cover up the honeycomb structure and prevent mud from creating an imbalance? Since it's still in the developement stage I would guess that the final version would have a sidewall and look more like a regular tire.

Ruppster

BlizzardX23

yes, I saw this years ago...its a very old design...like mentioned before, Michelin came out with the tweel years ago...same thing

The honeycomb design is what supports the vehicle and acts as another form of suspension for the vehicle...instead of the height of your sidewall in your current tires (40 series, 85 series, or low profile/****ty ride 25 series sidewalls)...the height of the tweel honeycomb takes its place

more information with pictures
Rim and Tire Market News - Wheelsnext The Future of Tires...the TWEEL!

No...no sidewall covers for them

edpdx

The videos from the manufacturer show them putting the tires over the testing grounds; but they seem to travel S-L-O-W. I can even imagine hitting a speed bump at Office Depot very fast without doing some damage. Soft graded dirt is one thing; running at top speed over unpaved, wash board roads... I dunno?

wjruth

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcdmH_hVWBY&feature=related[/media]

If you look at the video with the skid steer it looks to me like this would be a good thing for the military. And the problem of balance can be solved by putting on a fluid balance ring on the hub, similar to what is used on big rigs.