• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tubes required for super singles?

KsM715

I found them on ebay a few months ago. They were used and nothing fancy, but they were the correct width, which is important enough to keep tire shops from installing too wide of tire on too narrow of rim for liability reasons. Do whatever you want, but if the very first time this setup you speak of fails happens to be on your rig, and it happens to be when you really need to have control of the vehicle, I'll be sure to remind you I told you so.
I know I don't take any chances with a 14k-pound truck on the highway. All 5 of my deuces are stock, but I do plan on bobbing a couple of them later and putting 8" lifts on them with 53" tires, but that will be done with the utmost care to do it correctly. Matter of fact, a very well-known off-road specialty shop is designing the lift kits for me, and will be bending most of the parts on a brake press rather than welding two pieces together since a bend is stronger than a weld.

Your worried about the hobby being hurt by someone with the wrong tires on the wrong rims (I know your taking about safety here, not just correctness) but your going to bob and lift a truck 8", put 53" tires on it and your not worried about getting in an accident with that and someone screaming that it was not safe? What are your planned upgrade to your brakes?

treysoucie

thanks all for your support and knowledge!! akonitony i still dont know what wheels you are talking about all you stated was that you found them on ebay?? what company, brand??

treysoucie

Anybody have a shop mount the tires to the wheels? im getting the feeling that some tire shops will give me **** about mounting such a large tire on the stock 10inch rim.. and what about balancing? how have you guys taken care of this aspect?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The rim is 20x7.5 not 10. I would have the shop spin balance the rim by itself first, then mount the tire and balance again. If the thought of getting "better" rims has popped into your head, let me add this:
When I needed to break down a rim to swap out a tube, there was NO WAY IN **** I could get that lock ring off. I ended up squishing the tire with my wrecker boom so I could take it apart. If you don't have something to squish the tire down, if you need to swap a tube or do some other maint. item, Get some of the modified Hemtt rims. You should also take into consideration 7 tubes cost me about $400. If you cut one of the tubes while putting the rim together, you are S.O.L.! IMHO the Hemmt rims are the best option for someone that will have to live with these tires. As much as I hate to spend money I don't have to, I am buying some modded rims. Don't spend more than $230 per rim. $50? Good F-in luck.

jdknech

Anybody have a shop mount the tires to the wheels? im getting the feeling that some tire shops will give me **** about mounting such a large tire on the stock 10inch rim.. and what about balancing? how have you guys taken care of this aspect?

i had a shop break down my tires, but out of 13 "big truck" tire shops, no one would mount them on stock rims... it took me a crap load of cribbing, 2 hi-lift jacks, and 2-3 hours per tire to mount them..auaauaauaauaaua

use a rim under the front bumper to set another rim on top of(so the tire is not sitting on the ground, and it can flex)and i used 4x4x48 blocks on top of the tire, and used the jacks to push the tire down... be VERY careful if doing this way, its not the safest way...

Attachments

Your worried about the hobby being hurt by someone with the wrong tires on the wrong rims (I know your taking about safety here, not just correctness) but your going to bob and lift a truck 8", put 53" tires on it and your not worried about getting in an accident with that and someone screaming that it was not safe? What are your planned upgrade to your brakes?
I have not done anything yet, but yes, those are my plans, and I have people who make their living designing things like this fabricate everything. They have already covered the need for increasing braking strength with a simple and effective addition that I will be happy to include when I am ready to market the kit, which should hopefully be given the full green light by the end of this year.
The point you seem to be overlooking is I will not take a shortcut by using what's on hand, even though it may work, but was not designed for that purpose, to save some money. When I am done with any modification, it is either as good or better than what came from the factory. My argument was not against putting larger tires on the deuce, it was against using rims that are too narrow for the tires, and were not intended for those tires in the first place.
Why don't you tell us why the tire shops refused to mount them (just as I predicted)?
As far as my lift kits, once the cost-out is done, I will be offering them for sale and anyone who wishes to lift their deuce the right way can check them out for themselves. They will both lift the truck and strengthen the frame appropriately, and do it well enough the insurance company covering my supplier will still cover my supplier when they are producing said lift kit. Try explaining the backwoods setup you are endorsing to your insurance company and see if they will still stand by their policy. My supplier has been in this business, and specializes in Jeeps, since the early 70's, and they have been featured on Extreme4x4, Trucks, and Truck Universe. I've got Nationwide on my side, and they have already given the go-ahead with my plans. [thumbzup]

MO MV man

How much additional speed is gained by running 395's?
I'm figuring I gained about 7 mph.

HEMTT wheels and Michelin's, tubeless.
And let me tell you, I couldn't be more pleased.
See my avatar.
I mounted them myself and it was VERY easy.
The only "hard" part is the weight of the rims and the tires, the rest is very self-explanatory.

KsM715

I have not done anything yet, but yes, those are my plans, and I have people who make their living designing things like this fabricate everything. They have already covered the need for increasing braking strength with a simple and effective addition that I will be happy to include when I am ready to market the kit, which should hopefully be given the full green light by the end of this year.
The point you seem to be overlooking is I will not take a shortcut by using what's on hand, even though it may work, but was not designed for that purpose, to save some money. When I am done with any modification, it is either as good or better than what came from the factory. My argument was not against putting larger tires on the deuce, it was against using rims that are too narrow for the tires, and were not intended for those tires in the first place.
Why don't you tell us why the tire shops refused to mount them (just as I predicted)?
As far as my lift kits, once the cost-out is done, I will be offering them for sale and anyone who wishes to lift their deuce the right way can check them out for themselves. They will both lift the truck and strengthen the frame appropriately, and do it well enough the insurance company covering my supplier will still cover my supplier when they are producing said lift kit. Try explaining the backwoods setup you are endorsing to your insurance company and see if they will still stand by their policy. My supplier has been in this business, and specializes in Jeeps, since the early 70's, and they have been featured on Extreme4x4, Trucks, and Truck Universe. I've got Nationwide on my side, and they have already given the go-ahead with my plans. [thumbzup]

Thats great. Post up when your done and we'll see how many guys line up to buy when you annouce what your kit will cost.

I agree there might be a liability issue with what the OP is asking for but I have yet to see news coverage of an accident where a tire came off a rim (the specific ones in this thread not any old tire and rim accident) and killed anyone.

I would bet a million to one that when one of your "lawyer" approved kits gets involved in an accident, someone gets sued. No matter how much engineering and insurance approval you get there is always some dirt bag lawyer screaming "its not your fault, you should sue!"(sp?)

my69camaro

I have 395's mounted on stock rims.. I had the local Big Rig and tractor shop mount them for me... No problems what so ever... Cost me right around $500 to have them dismount old tires, buy new 14:00 tubes, and mount new tires. That was back in Feb of this year.

Love the upgrade, can cruise easy at 55-60mph and have rpm to spare... I think gps normally puts me around 65mph when I push it. Only issue I have is the driverside front rubs the steering arm during tight right hand turns.

I have 2pc rims for 5tons which are nice but no way am I going to spend what they want for modified rims to work on a deuce.

treysoucie

guess the mods dont like my comments.. anyone know the height of the front bumper once 46" are installed? trying to check regulations for texas registration laws

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks